Sharpening Stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,
Let me first apologise for continuing on my search for the origin and correct method with regard to a "Sharpening/Honing" stone I have inherited but I feel that I have more information available so someone out there may be able to identify it for me.
It measures 150mmx70mmx20mm, it is dark red/brown in colour, I can see lines around its edge where it has been pressed/stamped out of a larger block or slab which makes it "Manmade".
As an experiment, I ran a file across its corner and matreial was removed quite easily as so was when I rubbed it across a sheet of 80 grit production paper, it is very smooth and does not have the appearance of being porous. I followed the advice given previously and immersed it in water, no bubbles appear and on removal the water just runs off, there is absolutely no evidence of oils or any oil smell or feeling of oil when it is rubbed.
It lives in a box with a plain cardboard bottom and a light bluish lid and is possibly 20 plus years old.
I am not ignoring the help offered previously but as said above I am just presenting my fellow forum users with some more info' in the hope that someone out there recognises the stone and the correct way to use it. I have taken taken pictures but am unable to post them here?? (Help)
Apologies for troubling you all again, regards,
Pete

Pete,

Any chance of you posting some pictures of the stone and its box, may help us provide more information?

Pete,

My water-stone, sheds water too, but that's when it is completely waterlogged, as it should be.

Take your stone out of the water and let it dry.
Then wet it. You should be able to see the water soak in, proving it's porous.

I think you'll find it's a water-stone of some sort.

The reason UKW needs external image-hosting is probably down to the software used to run the site. There are forums where you can upload directly to their site. In these cases you have to have the image on your PC, or it can't be viewed on the forum you uploaded to.

Having pictures on a site like photobucket or imageshack means it can be seen on a forum, but you don't have to leave the original on your hard disk. I store mine on an external drive.

It's only when you delete the image from the on-line source that UKworkshop can't 'see' the pics any more.
HTH

John :)

Right, Pete has sent me th pictures so here they are:
3775040996_6bd5e60901.jpg

3775041934_9b616a40dd.jpg

3774238141_0978aa3c16.jpg

Well it looks exactly like a man made Japanese waterstone, possibly 800, 1000 or 1200 grit.

If you were to try flattening the back of a chisel or plane blade using water and lots of muddy slurry were produced, that would confirm it.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

That looks a lot like the water stone Makita gave me when I bought my electric planer. That was in 1972 or 3.

xy

Latest posts

Back