Sharpening. A microscopic contribution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":2srvzt3h said:
Hi BB,

I just happen to have have a couple of useful telescopes bought from junk-shops. They work perfectly, but I do unscrew the eyepieces for cleaning. I also use the eyepiece of one to inspect the object-glass of the other for scratches.

I wasn't denegrating use of a loupe' or Maplins gizmo. I just offered the info for anyone who happens to have a telescope and might not have considered using the eyepiece as a mini-microscope. Saves buying from Maplin, if you do already have one. :)

So having sharpened my fave smoother last night, I'll be away to the shop, and do what I promised SWMBO I would do!

All the best BB :)

Fair enough. My favourite medium strength magnifier is a f2.4, 32 mm lens stripped from an old (and irrepairable) 1960s camera. Colour corrected and everything !

BugBear

Benchwayze":127g8w52 said:
Now that's a good idea. I have an old Nikon that no one seems to want to repair!
Cheers BB

On a proper SLR lenses can be reversibly removed, although use as a shop magnifier does tend to result in a few knocks :)

I havn't tried stripping a lens from a mid 1980's point 'n' shoot, but they should have the right optical properties, and such cameras are 50p at car boot sales.

BugBear

Derek Willis.":2xdll7a0 said:
I thought Maplin's was a holiday camp, or so Ruth Maddox led us to believe. Derek.

Although Mapin doesn't have an S so it really should be just plain Mapin
Not sure why people call it Maplins.

Tintin":39d9k4mf said:
Derek Willis.":39d9k4mf said:
I thought Maplin's was a holiday camp, or so Ruth Maddox led us to believe. Derek.

Maplin market their scope, so it should read Maplin's gizmo. I missed out an apostrophe! :lol:

George Bernard Shaw wouldn't ever use one at all!

Its probably just habit, after all every other shop in the street ends with an S

WHsmiths Boots Wollies Jessops etc

one of the reasons Mr C advocates the use of a microscope is that when flattening the back of a blade you can see when all the scratches from the previous grit or movement sequence have been removed.

I've got the Maplin one as well and it is great, I showed everyone in work, we looked at coins, pencil marks on paper, news paper print, one of the best things to look at was denim.

For the six quid it cost the value for money factor is massive :D

Seang

SeanG":38p11tua said:
one of the reasons Mr C advocates the use of a microscope is that when flattening the back of a blade you can see when all the scratches from the previous grit or movement sequence have been removed.
:D

Seang

Yes Sean,

Just like when making a telescope mirror, except it's even more important to remove the scratches from those, esp prior to polishing with rouge.

:wink:

Benchwayze":2ab5llv7 said:
SeanG":2ab5llv7 said:
:D

Seang

Yes Sean,

Just like when making a telescope mirror, except it's even more important to remove the scratches from those, esp prior to polishing with rouge.

:wink:

Do I detect shades of ATM and possible dobs?

BugBear (cryptic)

Aye BB you do. Not these days though.

I made a Newtonian reflector, but eventually I went mad and bought a 4" refractor, with a star-diagonal. (Astronomy might be 'looking up' but I find that particular movement difficult! :) ) My daughter inherited the kit early! All I keep now are some old smaller 'scopes.

Can't see much though today. I complained to my local Councillor about the proliferation of sodium lamps. He said. 'Why don't you get your horoscope out of the newspaper like anyone else!' I kid you not.

I still have all three Volumes of ATM from the 70's though. Nice reading these days. Whenever I get all this furniture replaced, I might go back to it, only this time, it will all be hooked up to my PC!, so I can stay in the warmth. :D

Cheers BB.

But it does have an "L"!! :lol: :lol:

Agreed; a really useful teaching or experimenting tool; although mine is only 30x and has a slide to focus button which is a bit filddly. It helps you see how you're doing and how may strokes you need to remove the wear on the back of the blade, say. Also for scoping the fit of the cap iron, especially if you've curved it or are setting it really close say ~ 5 thou.

Latest posts

Back