Shallow units for a utility room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to fit some base/wall units in a utility room 1.35m wide. Standard units are too deep, and I've been unable to find shallower units as stock items - I'm thinking 40cm worktop, 37 cm base units.

So the alternative is either to make my own from scratch or cut standard units to size. Any opinions on the best approach, or anyone know of a supplier of non-standard cabinet sizes (worktop is not a problem).

Thanks
Drew

we cut standard units down - it was pretty easy though I did you a down cutting router bit (Trend) to ensure a good finish. We then used the bit that was trimmed off as a template for the holes for the knock down fittings used - very easy and you get all the advantages of the original units :)

HTH

Miles

They'll turn out a little shallower than your 37cm, but what about using wall units with legs on as base units. A friend of mine did this in her kitchen and it worked very well.

I am probably asking for trouble here but have you looked at MFI.
They now sell a range of units manufactured by Mark2 Bathrooms which are either 335mm deep or 210 deep.
I have refurbished both my bathroom and ensuite with MFI units and they are not at all bad.
Ideally I would have liked to make my own but don't have the time.
Also if you buy the sink from MFI as well you know it will fit the vanity unit (the cistern unit comes with a cistern so you can be sure that will fit).
The units have the usual KD and dowel fittings so are easy to put together and they can also be easily modified to accommodate supply/waste pipes.
One word of caution, I found MFI to be expensive for any plumbing fittings (shower mixer, shower door, taps etc) so other than the basin I would go to a local plumbers merchant for these bits.

Martin.

Back