Shallow Textured Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Made this piece out of Purpleheart, 1st and last I think, this piece was as hard as stone, really, really hard! :( :x :( :x

Anyway, my Wife's favourite colour is purple so this is a piece for her.

Purpleheart, textured and stained purple, 200mmx65mm (heavy as a brick!)

Couple of photos with different light to try and show the texture:

1.png

2.jpg

Made me chuckle reading your post, reminded me of the first thing I tried to turn many years ago on a wee secondhand Record DML24 lathe, a blank of purpleheart that the roughing gouge :shock: ( didn't know any better back then!) just kept bouncing off of, was nearly the start and the end of my woodturning endevours !

Of course now I know better I would make sure I sharpened the roughing gouge better first :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Hi Skeetoids

Got to say I love purplehart :) the colour can be really stunning when it changes.

I think that the staining purple might be a problem when the bowl turns to it's true colour in a few days, best way to get it to turn is in direct sunlight.

Mark..............

Paul,

Thought I was doing something wrong when I started, so bloody hard!

Gitface,

The blank was covered in wax and looked a very deep purple. Here's a picky of the bottom, not much purple though:

DSC00765.jpg

Lee.

Nice texturing on the bowl, Lee, and I like the chunky shape.

The purpleheart should turn deep purple on exposure to UV light. I've made a few boxes from purpleheart and find that leaving them on a sunny window sill for a day makes the colour change quite effectively.

I imagine that the stained parts of your bowl won't change colour as the dark stain will protect the wood from the UV light - but I don't know - I've never attempted staining purpleheart.

I find purpleheart quite nice to turn, even though it is rather hard and blunting of the tools. It's nothing like as bad a jarrah - now that is a horrible wood to turn.

I made some pens out of purpleheart wood as my partner's favourite colour is purple - when I turned the pens they werent very purple until I left them in the sun for a few days in the summer.

Then they came out a really nice shade of purple - and I had a happy partner :)

Provided the finish doenst block UV then it should darken.

Back