Sewing stand help?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanlock Dod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm pondering building a vaguely shaker sewing stand, like a little three legged table with a drawer under the top (the top being held in place by a yoke which also supports the drawer). Wise to the idea that I might be able to consider a variety of subtly different designs by using something like Sketchup I thought I'd have a crack. :?

One of the first problems I'm suffering with is I suspect one of terminology. When I want to make "that go over there and to this" I struggle to find the "going over there and doing this" command. However, you'll be pleased to hear that I'm blundering blindly on anyway. :D

I've got so far with the model, but really can't work out how to shape the central column or join the legs to it (these are both possibilities that I'm looking to vary through use of this model).

Hopefully a picture shows below?

2863278216_21620051a6.jpg

I'm sure you'll be able to see the magic string which I've used both to help me get the different bits aligned somehow, and I'll also be using to speed up the construction by simply pulling it through a hole in the top to get everything to go together :shock:

Any of your thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome, especially if they'll help me make the centre column more like the shape of a Perrier bottle.

Many thanks,

Dod

Dod, maybe you don't have the "going over there and doing this" toolbar turned on.:D

Just kidding. The Move tool icon is a sort of X with arrowheads on it. Select the component you want to move (you are making components of the parts, aren't you?) then get the Move tool, grab the component and move it.

The Move thing is a bit more detailed than that but I'll need to write more later.

Usually I find it easier to draw the various parts in place relative to the rest instead of trying to put them together after drawing them.

As to shaping the column, this is a job for Follow Me. I should be able to come up with a tutorial of some sort for you.

Joining the legs to the column is a matter of drawing in the flats on the column and placing the legs. Actually, after placing one leg, you can use Ctrl+Rotate to make the other two copies.

If you wish, send me your model and I'll make some illustrations from it.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

That was pretty speedy, I'll have a look at the tutorials you recommended.

I managed to get copies of the leg placed around the column by some kind of copying/moving tool and reference to the bottom of the "piece of string". Perhaps that was the rotate tool. Regardless, I was pretty pleased with myself for having managed it. :D

Thanks for the offer to fiddle with my model, can I attach it to a PM?

Cheers,

Dod

Back