Sentimental Chopping Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
So here's the story. .....

My dad loved his wood work (unbeknown to me) and he desperately wanted a daughter.
After having 2 sons, it took a lot of bullying from my mum an my aunt to convince him to have 1 more child. So one afternoon on a visit to Duxford imperial war museum. ... whilst standing on Concord, he agreed that they would try one last time for his daughter. .... me

Sadly half way through a woodwork course, and 18months after I was born he was killed at work, and never saw me grow.
Well, when I was 23 ish... I started making things with wood, and my passion grew. It was then my mum told me, that this ratty old chopping board that had been around for ever was actually made by my dad. This is when I found out his love for wood must be in my genes!

Mum presented me with this chopping board about 4 years ago and said see if you can do anything with it.
As you can see, it was in a hell of a state. So much so I was scared that I couldn't do anything with it.

Well my confidence (and workshop) has grown, and I've decided to do something with it.
so here is the before......
it was badly split (as had been put in the dishwasher!!) So I snapped it where the cracks where, and started digging the inserts out (picture is missing one of the bits... snapped into 4)
I've discovered the main wood is beech... although pinker than I'm used to... and I have no clue what the yellow wood is.

It's coming along... although to rid the wood of splits is now a bit smaller.

After pictures to follow

Attachments

• 2016-02-18 16.17.08.jpg
    2016-02-18 16.17.08.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,981
I sometimes find myself using tools that belonged to my Dad or Granddad, I usually say quietly 'thanks Dad'. Feels right.

monkeybiter":3vr41s41 said:
I sometimes find myself using tools that belonged to my Dad or Granddad, I usually say quietly 'thanks Dad'. Feels right.

That's nice. Must be nice to have some inherited tools.

I would love to have some tools from my dad, but unfortunately they were dispersed elsewhere... mum obviously had no idea I would turn into the wood monkey that I have!!

Wonderful to see you restoring it to its former glory and look forward to seeing the finished chopping board, it could be steamed beech as i believe that is pinker in colour.
I too often find myself talking to my dad who passed away in 2008 whilst in my workshop and using some of his tools , never had a answer yet but as Monkeybiter say's it just feels right.

I'm sure your dad would will be looking down with a tear in his eye. I bet he never imagined in his wildest dreams that his daughter would enjoy working with timber. Let alone fix one of his old projects.

He'll be seriously proud of you.

MARK.B.":14ncafcc said:
Wonderful to see you restoring it to its former glory and look forward to seeing the finished chopping board, it could be steamed beech as i believe that is pinker in colour.
I too often find myself talking to my dad who passed away in 2008 whilst in my workshop and using some of his tools , never had a answer yet but as Monkeybiter say's it just feels right.

Lovely thanks for that. I was puzzled over the difference in colour.
my glue came yesterday so it's in the clamps drying now, I'm so excited as it already looks a million times better!!

I will admit there have been more than a few tears over this build.
I so wish I was making it with my dad.

After pictures will be in the not too distant future.

billybuntus":3nrvv2cx said:
I'm sure your dad would will be looking down with a tear in his eye. I bet he never imagined in his wildest dreams that his daughter would enjoy working with timber. Let alone fix one of his old projects.

He'll be seriously proud of you.

Thank you for your lovely comments.
I really hope he would be proud.

Lovely story Melinda.Having lost my mother at the age of 2 I can understand the emotions involved. I have some tools from my father, my grandfather, and my wife's grandfather who was a shipwright in Devonport Dockyard during WW1. I'd love to see some of the things they were used on. Looking forward to seeing your finished result.

RogerM":2o6vq9un said:
Lovely story Melinda.Having lost my mother at the age of 2 I can understand the emotions involved. I have some tools from my father, my grandfather, and my wife's grandfather who was a shipwright in Devonport Dockyard during WW1. I'd love to see some of the things they were used on. Looking forward to seeing your finished result.

It would be great wouldn't it to see the tool portfolio! ! Would be fab!
I can't wait to finish the chopping board. .. then I have to convince my mum I'm keeping it!!

Could you take something from the old board and use it in the new? Maybe a strip down the middle or something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":2wck02y9 said:
Could you take something from the old board and use it in the new? Maybe a strip down the middle or something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No unfortunately not. Everything that has been cut off the chopping board was not useable. I've tried to make it with as much original wood as possible.

It's so close now I'm gonna wait until it's finished.....

I squared up the 4 parts... cut the cracks off the ends... I've added some walnut strips for contrast and to keep it a useable size and not too small.

The circle inserts..
most I got out whole, so I started sanding them flat to look new again... then changed my mind.... it felt like I was removing history and family memory scars... so sanded a little but can still see cuts

I purchased some forsner bits to do the insert holes... the small one just about cut.. but the big one wouldn't even cut pine so had to use the little one for all
(I'm not overly happy with the fit... I think I may have a little wobble on my drill press)
Anyway the inserts are stuck in and drying... and that's where I'm at!!

So tonight I used my router and put some finger pulls in the underside for ease of pick up....

Rookie question. .. how do I stop burn marks... I've tried all different speeds and multiple cuts/ directions. .. still burning? I still have some space to play with if there's anything I can try and do to eradicate it?

Not sure how old /much the bit has been used in the past.

Thanks in advance for your help

Back