Self-Indulgent & Pointless

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading a thread on catalogues, I flicked through Rutlands and came up with the following list....

Section 1 - Hammering & Chiseling

MHG 11 Piece Bevel Edge Chisel Set (P4/5) - £99.95
Dakota Push Pin (P6/11) - £13.95
Dakota Carpenters Mallet 0.8kg (P7/6) - £7.95

Section 4 - Bags & Workwear

Dakota Ultimate Rig (P23/DK3007) - £49.95

Section 5 - Drilling & Screwing

Wiha Engineer's Screwdriver Set (P41/2) - £36.95

Section 6 - Joint Making

Dakota Hinge Mortising Jig (P48/4) - £59.95

Section 12 - Gluing

Titebond III Ultimate Waterproof Glue 16oz (P68/4) - £8.65

Section 14 - Finishing

Osmo Polyx Hardwax Oil Clear Matt 0.75L (P78/4) - £16.95

Section 15 - Planing

Veritas Apron Plane (P85/P2702) - £ 74.95
Veritas Super-Hard Milled Scrapers (Set of 4) (P96/3) - £12.95
Veritas Chamfer Guide (P97/5) - £15.95

Section 18 - Work Holding

Dakota 9" Quick Release Vice (P108/DK2020) - £39.95

Section 19 - Marking & Measuring

Veritas Imperial & Metric Bevel Setter (P124/7/N6601) - £22.95
Veritas Imperial & Metric Bevel Setter (P124/7/N6603) - £22.95
Dakota 24" Carpenters Square (P125/8) - £19.95
Veritas Dovetail Saddle Marker 1:6 (P126/3/N6104) - £9.95
Veritas Dovetail Saddle Marker 1:8 (P126/3/N6105) - £9.95
Veritas Poly-Gauge (P133/8) - £21.95
Dakota Digital Angle Gauge (P133/9) - £ 24.95

Section 20 - Safety

Dakota Push Block (6") - (P137/2) - £8.95

Section 21 - Sharpening

Veritas MK2 Honing Guide (P141/1) - £34.95

Section 23 - Router Cutters

Tornado Tongue & Grooze TCT Set - 1/2" (P180/5) - £39.95
Tornado Rail & Stile TCT Set - 1/2" (P180/8) - £39.95
Tornado Rebating TCT Set - 1/2" (6 Piece) - £39.95
Tornado Raised Panel Door Set - 1/2" (3 Piece) - £49.95

Section 24 - Sawing

Dorchester Dovetail Saw 8" - (P187/3/RL590A) - £65.95
Incra Mitre Gauge Special Edition With Flip Stop (P191/4) - £129.95

Section 29 - Machinery

Fox 2hp Dual Outlet Twin Bag Dust Collector (P223/3) - £199.95

Section 30 - Power Tools

Festool HL850 Power Planer Kit (P243/574541) - £348.98
Festool Roller Board For Systainers (P244/13 - £32.95
Alto 27L Vacuum With Power Take Off (P252/ATTIX36021) - £239.95

Footwear

Dewalt Velocity Boots - £49.94

I have no idea of the total, whether I need everything or not or even if I would buy the items chosen or select alternatives. I know it sounds crazy but sometimes making a list helps you realise what do need as opposed to what you dont. That's my theory anyway.

Regards

D

I do the same thing; I'm always writing lists on things I need as well! :roll:

It gives you something physical to look back through where you'll ask yourself "...do I really need one of those right now?", as you're look at your basket and it's already over the £200 limit you said you wouldn't break! :)

£1852.12p How sad is that! The weathers red hot and I'm on a bl**dy calculator!!

Stop dreamin' and get spendin' Dude :wink:

Mark

woody67":gu40d16u said:
£1852.12p How sad is that! The weathers red hot and I'm on a bl**dy calculator!!

Stop dreamin' and get spendin' Dude :wink:

Mark

I pasted it into Excel, did some formatting and came up with the same answer :lol:

I did buy some of the things on the list and will post some pics soon.

Regards

D

Hi

I might make myself a bit unpopular here, but here goes!

Since joining the forum I have been struck by how much emphasis there is on "BUYING TOOLS". I hope people realise that having the latest expensive tool does not neccessarily make you a better woodworker.

I see furniture making as a problem solving process, from design eg how can I design this cabinet to fulfill the function required of it, to finishing eg what finish meets the demands of the user. Part of this problem solving process includes, how can I combine my current skills with the tools I have available to achieve the effect I want.

It is surprising what you can achieve with a limited kit of tools. I have been in woodworking for about 30 years so I have built up a kit over a number of years, but it has few "prestige pieces". For example, I have a no 5 1/2 Record jack plane (£25) No 7 Record (£40), both from second hand stalls, plus a stanley block plane, about ten chisels of various shapes and sizes collected from various sources over the years. My router table is made from a pice of kitchen worktop and most of my floor standing machinery is good quality second hand. My only indulgence recently is a Micro Fence for the router, purchased about two years ago, which I spent a long time thinking about before purchase (glad I've got it tho). I look after these tools carefully and try to keep them in top condition.

I understand that some people just like the feel of quality tools and that part of woodwork for them is the handling of the tools. But for others remember what can be achieved on limited resources, and keep your money for more important things, if you can think of any!

Chris

I think you are quite right Chris.

But :)

As you say (admit?) yourself, the fancy stuff, in your case the micro fence, makes working wood so much more of a positive experience. Yes, you don't need a LN block plane, but once you've handled one, do you really want to go back to your Record? I don't. And I could put any number of similar comparisons, Marples vs Footprint, DW vs Bosun, Wenzloff vs well, anything really.

Surely it's just a case of having the best you can afford and are prepared to invest in. Is it not just perceived return on investment? For some, the top brands are not worth it, for others, they are worth every penny.

My 2p.

Steve, who is confused today about what is worth what as a result of eBay...

S

I'm in total awe and admiration of my fellow woodworkers who can fettle and adapt tools to work perfectly. I don't yet have the patience or skill. While I realise buying the best tools won't make me the best woodworker, it will reduce some obvious problems. Woodworking is a hobby to me, I do ok in my job and like to spend some of my wage on tools I want. I don't always assume I need them (not in the literal sense of the word anyway). Saving money is important to me, I always go for the best deal I can get. Paying for quality isn't an issue to me.

oh, and I'm also a geek, so I love a gadget.

There, that's my excuse. ;)

WiZeR":39ql90cv said:
I'm in total awe and admiration of my fellow woodworkers who can fettle and adapt tools to work perfectly. I don't yet have the patience or skill. While I realise buying the best tools won't make me the best woodworker, it will reduce some obvious problems. Woodworking is a hobby to me, I do ok in my job and like to spend some of my wage on tools I want. I don't always assume I need them (not in the literal sense of the word anyway). Saving money is important to me, I always go for the best deal I can get. Paying for quality isn't an issue to me.

oh, and I'm also a geek, so I love a gadget.

There, that's my excuse. ;)
At the end of the Day its whatever makes you happy, thats the best feeling in your lifetime, well thats the way I look at it :D

There is something else I've thought about here too.

Last year I went to Sierra Leone, there is some stuff on YouTube for anyone who is really interested. The guys there had NOTHING like the tools we had, and yet they produced serviceable goods. OK, they were a bit crude, close up, but I'm sure I could not have produced such good work if I had only their resources.

I also know people who have every tool and gadget known to man, yet I've never seen any of their work.

I guess it's what you produce and how much you enjoy it that matters at the end of the day. If that means being a tool freak, then why not, and if that means making do with simple tools thay also, that's fine.

S

I suppose my point was that I hope the forum does not make novice woodworkers think that they need to splash out on expensive tools to do good work.

My other concern, as an ageing hippy, is that "the system" relies on people being dissatisfied with what they have. For the free market to function the consumer must constantly spend, the function of the media is to stimulate the consumer. It does this by making people unhappy with what the already have, be it the shape of their body or face, their house, their car or their woodworking tools!

Your comment, Steve, about the craftsmen in Sierra Leone is interesting. I wonder if those craftsmen have the same dissatisfaction with thier meagre tools as we do with our packed workshops. I have worked with Tools for Self Reliance in the past, I have one of their photographs pinned up in my workshop, of a craftsman holding his two saws, both had been sharped so much through the years that the blades had virtually gone. It reminds me how fortunate I am when I pick up my new japanese saw.

Mr T , you reflect my thoughts perfectly.

I've had a few rants along similar lines.

As you say these gloats might put off the novice.

I 'll admit I lust over tools just like most here but a LN £250 plane is just stupid if you are dipping your toe in the water.

How can you learn to sharpen a blade thats cost 40 quid? I'd be scared to make mistakes.

I took home 3 car boot Stanleys for £20 (gloat) the other week and SWIMBO says why do you need more planes? ( a count up shows I already have 20). She is right, I don't need more for my woodwork.

I see the fettle up as another hobby- I've never bought a new handtool.
the new tool buyers are missing out.

Hi,

Got a colour tv, car with electric windows, dishwasher, video recorder, washing machine? all not necessary but invaluable at the same time. It goes for tools to.

Pete

Mr T":eijrdaey said:
My other concern, as an ageing hippy, is that "the system" relies on people being dissatisfied with what they have. For the free market to function the consumer must constantly spend, the function of the media is to stimulate the consumer. It does this by making people unhappy with what the already have, be it the shape of their body or face, their house, their car or their woodworking tools!.....

=D> =D>

My 2 Euros. Having decent quality tools and using them is a bit of a state of mind (for me anyway) Sure, an older, well fettled tool will do as good a job (and I was one of the lucky ones to use MrC's Stanley No5.5 at Yandles) but there is a pleasure in owning and using high quality tools for their own sake and once you start to aquire them you tend to want to do the better work with them. When better quality tools are recommended tho' they usually fall into the LV or LN bracket which are expensive but nowhere near as pricy as offerings from somewhere like Bridge City - Rob

Rob,

I've no problem with that and to some extent I'm the same.
What gets my goat is the implication ( often) that beginners must splash out big money or they are wasting time.

not true!! ol chippendale & his mates did a fair job with stuff people would consider crude these days.

Just look at the toys that come out whenever there is a debate about sharpening. Evidently I need 300 quids worth of tormek and the same again for diamond stones, otherwise Iam not going to get a even reasonable cutting edge.

lurker":1gd1sj7l said:
Rob,

I've no problem with that and to some extent I'm the same.
What gets my goat is the implication ( often) that beginners must splash out big money or they are wasting time.

not true!! ol chippendale & his mates did a fair job with stuff people would consider crude these days.

Just look at the toys that come out whenever there is a debate about sharpening. Evidently I need 300 quids worth of tormek and the same again for diamond stones, otherwise Iam not going to get a even reasonable cutting edge.

In many instances where beginners need advice on tools then I'm happy to recommend older gear that needs fettling, if they're maybe a bit strapped for cash and are feeling their way in woodworking. Sometimes tho' a newcomer to the hobby will also need help and guidance and does have access to a bit more disposable cash.
Sharpening and honing is a real hot potato I 'spose and everyone has their own preferred methods and techniques, which may or may not involve the investment in a wedge of the green stuff :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back