Self assessment online - HMRC admits to glitch beware!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeathRobinson

Established Member
Reaction score
With the 31st January looming I put through my balancing payment for 07/08 a couple of days back. This year hasn't been as profitable as previous so I simultaneously applied to have my payments on account reduced. The system gave me a confirmation screen and confirmation code and said the change will take 48 hours to show up on my statement.

I checked today to ensure the change has taken and horror of horrors the system has not reflected my request yet! So I phone up and they tell me that there is a glitch in the part of the system used to reduce payments on account and they know about it! :shock: So here is muggins thinking I've reduced my payments on account successfully, meanwhile HMRC are keeping schtum knowing full well they aren't receiving any of these online requests.

The least they could do is put a note on the self assessment online website saying so. Still, at least they say they've sorted it out for me now. I'm not sure I can believe them really, but they said I should get a letter in the post confirming it.

I thought to post this experience here as I'm sure a lot of you in the woodworking trades have got businesses and will be doing the self assessment too.

Simon

Edit: Turns out I must eat a small amount of humble pie since they do actually have a web page that chronicles the problems of using the site. The link is http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...nt&id=HMCE_PROD1_026735&propertyType=document

Back