Seketch up only 8 hours trial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":3fh0n6ad said:
Ha hum. Actually I think you'll find that was the link Gidon had in the post that he pointed you to in the second reply of this thread. The post being in the thread Nick pointed you to in the first reply of the thread. :roll:

There's no point in asking for help if you don't follow the links, DW. :(

Cheers, Alf

I am pleased to say that I did use the links provided above and got my download OK and thanked the gentleman privately (PM)
However I queried with Google why I was have trouble and they have provided this new link which you can see is different again from any previous.

devonwoody":3ne1soy0 said:
I am pleased to say that I did use the links provided above and got my download OK and thanked the gentleman privately (PM)
Why? Why not let us all know the problem's resolved? ](*,)

devonwoody":3ne1soy0 said:
However I queried with Google why I was have trouble and they have provided this new link which you can see is different again from any previous.
No it's not: here's Gidon's post that he linked you to with the very same link. :roll:

Heigh ho. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I reckon Steve could generate that rocker in about 10 minutes, if his 'insti-router' is any indication... :)

I had the same problem as you, the screen with the free download was a pop up so it wouldn't appear as I wasn't allowing pop ups. Maybe you had the same problem?

I'd give that rocker a try but I'd need more information that I can get from that little picture. If he wants me to draw it in SketchUp I'll need dimensions. Maybe he'd like to send me his plans. :D

His challenge is pretty much worthless if he's asking his chair to be duplicated in SketchUp without providing the dimensions. I could give him a list of things to draw in his CAD program that he couldn't come close to completing unless I also provided him with the dimensions. :roll:

None of that makes SketchUp unsuited to use by woodworkers as he seems to insinuate.

DW--I'm glad you got your download troubles straightened out.

Dave R
I'll ask Rocker to email you with his email address,(Rocker is an aquaintance of mine so I have his private address.)
or vicer verser.

Shady":2f3dol2h said:
I reckon Steve could generate that rocker in about 10 minutes, if his 'insti-router' is any indication... :)

I wish!

Actually a rocker is on my wish list. My wife bought a garden steamer chair cheap at the end of last summer, with a view to having that in the garden, and a "proper" one made in ash for the lounge. But having used it, she reckons a rocker (our original plan) was the better option.

I've always liked Sam Maloof's chairs, though some are starting to look a bit dated now, and with the picture of the Australian one (Mr Dundas, I believe) and the guy who designed Chris's (whose name excapes me - Hal somebody?) I reckon I could come up with a pretty darned beautiful hybrid.

Getting it down on paper, however - now that is a real challenge. Especially, as Dave points out, without dimensional information. I have made attempts in the past at making Maloof-style backsplats like in my dining chairs, but the surface blends eluded me. I might have another go, now that I'm a bit more experienced in Sketchup.

As for time, that router took pretty much all day, but the bedroom chair only took me about 3 hours, once I'd decided on the actual curves (which I did in AutoCad).

The trouble with SketchUp is that it is positively addictive.

Cheers
Steve

The problem with the chair is that it has lots of lovely curves, at which SU is not very good. As has been said before SU is not a full CAD system, and much more aimed at fast ... erm ... well ... sketching really. This is not to say that the chair can't be done (if I were to make such a statment I would no doubt be embarassed in short time by DaveR producing the model), but that in this case another piece of software would probably be more suitable/efficient (as hinted at by Steve's statment about using ACAD for his curves). But neither does it negate the fact that for the vast majority of the sort of work we do SU is one of the fastest and best tools to use.

So, assuming that while I've been writing this, Dave has posted the model, how long did it take Dave? :lol:

Nick, sorry to disappoint but I've actually been working on a model for work instead.

I do have some ideas about how to draw the rockers and the seat of that rocking chair but I won't bother to try drawing his chair unless the challenger supplies the dimensions.

In the meantime, take a look at this and then tell me that SketchUp doesn't do curves. :D
Vesper.jpg

Dave that's fantastic! Can we please have a tutorial on it? No rush. Anytime in the next hour or so will do fine...
:lol:
Cheers
Steve

Steve, I don't have the files at work to give you a tutorial on that one. I actually cheated a bit and imported a 3D DXF file of the boat that was drawn in a hull design program. That said, I could have drawn the hull from scratch in SketchUp. Doing it as I did just saved a bit of time.

In this drawing of the pram I built as a cradle for my son (whose second birthday is today), I've made the hidden geometry visible so you can see the triangulation that is used to fill the faces. To draw a hull or something similar you just need to draw profiles at intervals down the length and then connect them. In the case of a boat those profiles are at "stations" and are basically cross sections of the hull at say every 12". the more stations and the more points along the profile you have, the smoother the curves appear. In the case of the sailing canoe there are many more points than on the pram. The pram is a hard chined boat though and the planks could be made of plywood. The canoe would be strip built and faired after strip planking is complete.

hiddenlines1.jpg

As far as the rest of the details on the canoe, it was rendered in Kerkythea witha single light source and no background. Actually pretty simple rendering.

Latest posts

Back