Seeking a profile cutter like this..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
..for a 40mm block. Wondered if anyone recognised it as I've drawn a bit of a blank.

spindle-cutter.jpg

Really appreciate any pointers as making my own is a bit out of my depth.

Thanks

Roger

Thanks guys. I totally missed this profile and skipped over it but I can see where you're coming from.

Schultzy ..your link just went to the home page. What number profile is it?

Dan..have also sent details to the saw doctor. Never heard of them..definitely worth a visit, I think.

Cheers

Roger

Scott and Sargent can have profiles made up. I had axi make some up via someone else a while ago and cost about £80. Thought that was a bit steep at the time. May well be the Scots blood in me.

RogerS":5u45qfm3 said:
Dan..have also sent details to the saw doctor. Never heard of them..definitely worth a visit, I think.

I don't know what they're like, but my local guy will make cutters to any profile I give him. He's got a special machine for the job.

I assumed everyone bought their cutters that way.

Dan

Hi,

I had a set (cutters and limiters) made up by East Midlands Saw & Tool Co.Ltd for about £100 they are HSS ones so its not a bad price.

Pete

If its a cutter you need made to match an existing profile, some companies will take a piece of the existing profile and match it exactly to that.
When I've had spindle cutters ground before, they have been in the region of £80 or so.

A cheaper option would be to buy a cutter & limiters like this and grind off the 8mm radius corner to 45deg on a bench grinder. That should give you a suitable torus moulding. I assume its a run of Torus skirting you are making? If its a smaller bead for match boarding then I use the profile Oryx linked to followed by a rebate block to cut the tongue.

Or shove it through the router table

Jason

Roger

If my memory serves me right, you can use the Whitehill "B" cutters in a 40mm euro block - but you'd need to check.

If you can, check out the Whitehill site http://www.whitehill-tools.com/ select profile cutters from the menu, select the 96x50x30 block and there should be something that you can use in that selection.

rgds

SBJ

SBJ":701qkerh said:
Roger

If my memory serves me right, you can use the Whitehill "B" cutters in a 40mm euro block - but you'd need to check.

If you can, check out the Whitehill site http://www.whitehill-tools.com/ select profile cutters from the menu, select the 96x50x30 block and there should be something that you can use in that selection.

rgds

SBJ
Hi SBJ,

Your link has been caught by our spam trap, this will stop when you have a few more post to your name.

Ha...I can now see why my original drawing failed in the clarity stakes :oops:

This is the profile I want to cut

P1060721.JPG

and, following Dans' suggestion, Stephens Saws are making me up a pair of cutters and a pair of limiters in HSS to do the whole profile in one pass for £42 inc VAT and postage....so I'm pretty chuffed.

Thanks guys

Roger

Back