See through acrylic blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me ....

I've tried turning a couple of pens using different coloured acrylic blanks and they go see through so I can see the tubes through the blanks.... am I doing something wrong, or have I just got to be more selective on choosing my blanks ie go for the dark colours to minimise the chance of them going see through.

It's not that I'm turning them too thin as I was doing a sierra one yesterday and left it bulbus and it was still see through.

many thanks

This is a common problem with acrylic blanks. Just paint the brass tubes black or a dark colour to match the blank.

Brendan.

some acrylic is more see thru than others- I paint the tube and the inside of the blank as depending on the glue you use if you just do the tube you will sometimes see the glue thru the blank.
the colour you choose will affect the overall effect of the blank-painting red under a red blank will deepen the colour whereas painting pink under a red blank will lighten etc- genrally try to paint a colour as similar to the blank as you can.

Back