Sedgley hand planes, anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnberg

Established Member
Reaction score
I have stumbled upon a few hand planes from Sedgley, a small British company, which according to the only source I've found, was a small company run by a Samuel Brookes.

Anyway, the few hand planes I've seen appear to be well made, sturdy and with some own adaptations of the Bailey design. So the question goes, does anyone out there own one and what is your opinion of them?

Finally understood how to attach images, since newbies can't post external links. See below.

Cheers,

Finnberg

Attachments

• sedgley01.png
    sedgley01.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 2,679
  • sedgley03.png
    sedgley03.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 2,679
  • sedgley02.png
    sedgley02.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 2,677
hi, yes I have one, looks like a no 4 , using it at the moment to smooth some old maple squash flooring. Project being a toy box for my second granddaughter. The plane must be at least 50 years old, belonged to my great Uncle, Cafferata - director of a plaster works in Newark, Notts, he was loaded, alway bought the best!

Thanks for the post, andsad.
Having received some images from a owner, they do strike me as very Stanley-esque, with a frog pattern identical to newer Stanley's. The biggest difference seems to be the screw hole in the cap iron, which doesn't bear the kidney shape. I was just interested in knowing a bit more about the company itself and exactly what they produced, since I can only find one reference to it.

British Planemakers (3rd Ed) is brief and doesn't add much, I'm afraid, Finnberg:

BROOKS, Samuel & Co.
Gospel End St., Sedgeley, DUDLEY. <1951> (i.e. Definitely known to be around in 1951, but no other evidence found so they assume sometime before and after that date too)
"Makers of Stanley type metal planes marked SEDGELEY BRITISH MAKE"

Back