Security cameras

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m using Blink cameras, needs a wifi signal to work, but really simple to set up and use. But to cover large areas you’ll probably need a few extra as i find triggering to be a bit limited in some positions.

I use Arlo Pro. All wireless. All with microphones. All recorded to cloud. Extremely easy to set up. I power some from small solar units. Quite satisfied with them. I can log in to the app and see the cameras wherever I am. I have security lighting too, but the cameras are pretty good at night. You really want the highest resolution cameras you can afford if you want them clear enough to do face recognition for police purposes.

If the police around you are anything like the police around me you could give them the perp's passport and they still wouldn't be able to identify him.
Ha, good point. We have a police station in the village. What we don't have is any actual police. :rolleyes:

Every now and again we see a Community Support Officer. Mates in the motorbike advanced training club I ride with, who are police, call them CHIMPS. This stands for "Can't Help In Most Police Situations". :censored:

A point to bear in mind is do you want the cameras visible at night? Most have a ring of lights around the lens to give good pictures, but that enables the bad guys to see them glowing. Completely "dark" cameras are needed if you specifically want to catch someone.

A point to bear in mind is do you want the cameras visible at night? Most have a ring of lights around the lens to give good pictures, but that enables the bad guys to see them glowing. Completely "dark" cameras are needed if you specifically want to catch someone.
Motion sensitive security lights will mean cameras will pick up pretty much anything at night. The hope is perps will find an easier target.

I use cameras to pick up wildlife I am trying to photograph. You get what you pay for with these systems. We have a buzzard's nest very close to the house.

If the police around you are anything like the police around me you could give them the perp's passport and they still wouldn't be able to identify him.

oh they are, but the locals are likely to know who is who.

My bigger concern is petty and opportunistic crime where they will take what they can grab easily- the lowlifes and drug addicts looking for a fix. Anybody determined would probably laugh at the security measures as they put a portable grinder through locks and chain, cut the broadband line etc.

Motion sensitive security lights will mean cameras will pick up pretty much anything at night. The hope is perps will find an easier target.

I use cameras to pick up wildlife I am trying to photograph. You get what you pay for with these systems. We have a buzzard's nest very close to the house.

yes, I just want to be slightly less desirable a target than next door!

About 5 years ago I was asked to set up a system that specifically could not be seen because the owner was being harrased and he wanted photographic evidence. Unless technology has moved on (very possible) the good ones all had a ring of Leds around the lens. In the dark they could be seen from a long way away.

The good ones now Bob still have a ring of sensors glowing dull blue or red, but you have to get reasonably close to see them. Most people want the security cameras to be highly visible I would guess. I think we are supposed to put up a notice as well if they can record a public space such as a road.

I've got the Blink system. The Arlo system is supposed to be very good, but the Blink stuff does me. I've found it to be very responsive, but it does rely on having a stable network.

+1 for making the place less desirable than others. It works.

Need more information TBH. Are you talking indoors? Outside ? Home? Remote workshop ? Mains available ? Where located etc.

We have a fairly standard semi. approx 7m front, with a front door on the corner, 10m side with a door to the kitchen which is our main entrance and 7m at the back with a patio door. There is a path from the side which goes to the front door, along the side of the house and to the kitchen door, and a patio area to the side of the house with bbq etc. The cameras would be for external only. Garden wise, they would need to cover the bbq area, the gate and the doors but dont need to stretch further than that. The garden is quite big but there is nothing much of value in most of it, and the only entrance to the property is the side gate.

Mains and internet available. 2 story so cameras could go as high as needed.

A sign and a visible camera of any sort is probably most of the deterrent but if I am doing it I would rather get decent kit than to spend half of the money on something that is useless. a neighbour or two are also looking so that we hope to have reasonable coverage over the few houses, ie if Tommy tea leaf is wandering around looking to steal he will probably look around various places.

my internet is stable enough, my bigger concern is that it is virgin fibre and I could disable it in seconds with a spade even in the dark. most people have sky or virgin and it is rarely a secret where these services enter the house. Anybody with half an idea could see where to cut a line.

my internet is stable enough, my bigger concern is that it is virgin fibre and I could disable it in seconds with a spade even in the dark. most people have sky or virgin and it is rarely a secret where these services enter the house. Anybody with half an idea could see where to cut a line.
A local CCTV recording device ("NVR") won't need fibre/internet to record, as the NVR is within your house.

These days there is little point in going for coax cameras, so look for IP cameras, and preferably POE to make life easier (just a single network cable gives power and network). Cameras are £40-50, and the NVR with disk start around £150-200.

I have a raspberry pi with motioneyeOS and IR camera and a small usb battery between it and the ac adapter. Could add 4G card to it for net redundancy. Not too expensive but requires a bit of time setting up. MotioneyeOS can do quite a lot like, email snapshots when there's motion, and can set operation hours.

We went with Ring as did my son. Very happy with it. On many of the current "which system to use" Ring comes out top.

Back