seasoning oak in situ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have bought two pieces of Oak for a table. It is green and I intend to season it in situ. The pieces are 600mm wide 80mm thick and 2.8m long.

Our house doesn't have central heating and can be quite humid.

One day I will square them and and join them to make a single top maybe with breadboard ends.

I will cover the ends in wax to slow down the drying.

Anything else I should know ?

Regards

'Sue'

That will make a lovely big table, Areal conversation piece! You must have lots of friends and relations!
At the very least it would be advisable for the oak to be "settled" as in cut for 6 months prior to what you propose to do.
I heard stories about oak being cut and left standing in a river the same way up as it was growing, theory being the water could stabilise the timber, Do as you say and wax the ends well and see how you go for the 2 1/2 years left.
I wonder if You may think it interesting to accurately measure the 2 pieces each end and also the lengths and when considered dry at a year for each inch you would have a insight into oak shrinkage first hand. You could be surprised. HTH
Regards Rodders

Back