Seal or oil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just built some decking in the garden and I'm already sick of scrubbing dirty foot prints off it so it needs a finish. I have seen decking sealer and decking oil. Does anyone know the pros and cons and suggest a suitable product and manufacturer? I don't want to stain it so a natural finish is fine.

Hi P111dom,
Most decking sealers whether oil based or water based are suitable for your purpose.
Water based tends to last (slightly) longer than oil based so therefore is a bit more durable. Both types only really provide basic protection against the elements and wont stop dirty footprints :( but they will be easier to clean :)
You are right in your decision not to stain the deck (horrible) but unfortunately these stains seem to offer the best protection. They look pants after a while unless you recoat two or three times a year :roll:

Any of the big names like liberon, cuprinol, ronseal ect will do well.

Green mossey algea in winter is the biggest problem with decks and none of the oils/sealers can do much to stop this happening. So a good wash down with a soft brush every couple of weeks through the winter months and two coats a year on a good dry day and you should be ok.
Cheers,
Gary.

Latest posts

Back