Scrollsaw Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of getting a stand for my Hegner . I am one of those people who can always see that it will be better if you move it over there.
When I had a lathe I must have moved it 20 times sometimes into positions it had been in previously .
So I think a stand is the best way to go ,otherwise I may never get to wear out a blade . So a stand it's to be .

Hi Eugene. You will feel the benefits of having a stand. I think the one from Hegner is very expensive for what it is. You can make one easily enough and there are several plans available for various stands. When I first set up the workshop I moved things around a few times before I was happy with everything and then everything got bolted down.

The Hegner stand looks expensive, but unless you have welding kit and a space to weld, and you have room to paint it, £150 is not that bad. For a firm to earn a living they have to look at £300 a day, so 1/2 day to build and finish one would be difficult to do at home, even a day would be pushing it. If you are working, for many people it would be better to go to work and buy one.

Having said that, (I have a Hegner stand that came with my second hand saw), the lazy mans bench looks good, and I suspect is better in some ways than the Hegner. One change I would make to the design is to have a central rear leg rather than two legs. That way it will sit on any floor without rocking.

Thanks all for their thoughts on the stand issue ,I certainly wont be making one .I have just finished hanging a door in my shed where I had divided it in half ,If I were to do it again I would stand the door up in the field next to me and build a shed around it .I am useless at anything like that . So I have a friend who has an engineering works so I will get him to do it . Now to find some plans ?.

boysie39":1j242i9g said:
I am seriously thinking of getting a stand for my Hegner . I am one of those people who can always see that it will be better if you move it over there.
When I had a lathe I must have moved it 20 times sometimes into positions it had been in previously .
So I think a stand is the best way to go ,otherwise I may never get to wear out a blade . So a stand it's to be .

I bought one of these, but can't remember where from http://www.silverlinetools.com/products ... tool+stand, I think it's great for the price and very sturdy.

I have the steel stand from Hegner.
I have never regretted that I bought it. Is very solid better than one made of wood.
FD Mike

IMO there are two problems with Silverline. One is they are in the same quality bracket as Clarke, and from the few things I have bought, I have been disappointed. Second is the stands have four legs. That makes it more difficult than three legs to find a position where it doesn't rock.

I bought the Hegner metal stand. The stand was very tall, which meant that you had to cut standing up. I sit to cut ,so, I sawed a bit of the legs. the rear single leg is about 1" longer then the front legs. The saw tilts slightly forward.
There is some real metal in the stand and is well worth the money.

Thanks to all for their suggestions . I left my saw with my fabricating friend on Friday and will be collecting it later today.Bearing in mind that his main work is repairing and building farm machinery . Me saw could be mounted on a wheelbarrow or a plough or anything. I was trying to explain to him what kind of stand was recommended to( his back ) he said leave it with me I"ll work something out , So I will post some piccs later .
At the mom. your guess is as good as mine as to what I will have .

Well I collected my saw and stand today and I took a few pics. of it to let you see what he made . It may not look like the conventional stand for Scrollsaws but it sure does the job.
It weights about 6 stone and I can add as much weight as I want onto the frame .I have since fitted the saw and have tried it out noy a tremor .Hopefully I can post some pics. now
P1010927.JPG

P1010928.JPG

P1010929.JPG

I will do a paint job on it tomorrow and post some of the finished job . Thank you.

Attachments

• P1010927.JPG
    P1010927.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,332
  • P1010928.JPG
    P1010928.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,332
  • P1010929.JPG
    P1010929.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,332
Back