scrolling cork???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadnerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm looking for some info please. has anyone ever tried scrolling cork? if so, is it easy to work and sand???
Also what finish should I use??
Thanks in advance!!
Brendan

I cut some cheapo table mats (£ store-type things). Also some wine bottle corks (real ones, unused), both for my wife.

The table mats were a bit crumbly (the compressed bits of cork in the mats looked a bit large and coarse), but in the end, by cutting a bit away from the line and light sanding afterwards, the result was OK. They were about 5 or 6 mm thick BTW, and she wasn't after high precision cuts, "near enough was good enough". I used no sacrificial backing.

Cutting the corks was fine and produced good smooth cuts, no trouble. I cut them in half (along the long axis) and in half along the length.

It would probably have been just as easy to cut both with a really sharp knife, though I didn't try that (my wife bought my Excali for my birthday and I wanted to use it at every opportunity).

In both cases I used a pretty fine blade (about a 2 or 3 if I remember correctly) and slow speed/light feed pressure. My wife was pleased.

AES

Back