Screw driving bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning, Can anyone recommend a screw driving bit for my drill that grips the screw head and doesn’t slip please.
Sorry should have added, mainly Post drive

Last edited:
Wera will sell you one for quite a lot of money that has diamond grit on the faces of the bit.
They are too ££ for me.
Good quality bits, decent screws and push the bit into the screw while driving or removing all help.

I was recently wondering the same thing about torx bits - I prefer these because they don't cam out as easily as pozi - and found this comparison useful.

My verdict was that the top of the range Makita's would be my first choice but they don't seem to distribute the torx bits from that range in the UK.
Good quality + value and the ones I bought were Milwaukee.

For a pozi, you can get the good Makita bits here and I would buy those, with milwaukee 2nd because they are easy to get.

I've got a set of wera diamond with my combi drill for DIY use and they are excellent, I've replaced maybe one individual 25mm bit in over 10 years.

Morning, Can anyone recommend a screw driving bit for my drill that grips the screw head and doesn’t slip please.
Sorry should have added, mainly Post drive
Forgive me if I'm missing the point - I use a magnetic adaptor in my battery screw driver. It accomodates the various driver bits and the magnet holds the screw in place

if you are looking for a bit holder that doesn't drop the screw bit you probably want one like this (not nessacerily this one, but I do rate anything made by wera), the bit is locked in place, not just held by a magnet, so you have to pull the collar forward to release the bit (very similar to the holder on an impact driver)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Unive...eywords=wera+bit+holder&qid=1675540576&sr=8-1
just do a search for 'locking bit holder'

I've got confused now what is being looked for

My recommendation if your bit is not gripping the screw properly is wera diamond bits

If your bit holder is not gripping the bit well enough try a locking bit holder

If your screw keeps falling off, you could also look at a bit holder with a sliding guide like this

also just worth making sure you are pressing firmly enough with the drill so you are making a solid connection between the bit and the screw. Also double check you are using the right size and type of bit for the screw, very easy to pick up a philips bit instead of a pozi, which will just about work but never grip the screw properly

I have a Bosch bit set with a holder that connects to your driver and then slot in your choice of bit. Not for use with an impact driver though as you won’t remove the bit from the holder without pliers and a vice!

Back