Screw definition?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Thread 5mm, length 17.5 overall.
Hex head 'worn'.
Use: Plastic door adjustment.
Request - any sources - and how is this defined please?
Guess, hex head bolt, M5, 18mm? Or similar?
M5.jpg

It looks a bit chewed up in the centre........

.............no pun intended, but if you asking what type is it, I have seen it called a "Cheese-Head" for obvious reasons.

The drive-type and thread sizes are secondary.

https://www.accu.co.uk/13-cheese-head-screws?page=1

I'm sure that you can get other drive types than are shown there..... Allen head, so-called 'security' screws etc. and a variety of threads and pitches.

Last edited:
It looks a bit chewed up in the centre........

.............no pun intended, but if you asking what type is it, I have seen it called a "Cheese-Head" for obvious reasons.

The drive-type and thread sizes are secondary.

https://www.accu.co.uk/13-cheese-head-screws?page=1

I'm sure that you can get other drive types than are shown there..... Allen head, so-called 'security' screws etc.
They only offer flat heads? Needs a bit of torque to tighten, prefer hex socket. Thanks

Ebay sellers: "boltbase", "gwr-fasteners" and many more sell small quantities with next day or soon after service.
In case you get a liking for this style of fasteners, stainless countersunk head versions in m4, m5 and m6 can be bought with torx recesses which are more durable than hex sockets in the small sizes.

Good that a replacement has been ordered - if you were in a tight spot a hacksaw across the head and you have a screw suitable for use with a flat/blade screwdriver

Ebay sellers: "boltbase", "gwr-fasteners" and many more sell small quantities with next day or soon after service.
In case you get a liking for this style of fasteners, stainless countersunk head versions in m4, m5 and m6 can be bought with torx recesses which are more durable than hex sockets in the small sizes.
Screwfix sell various sizes in bags of 50 for a fiver or so.

This is a cap head screw
Indeed. And for the info of the OP, or anyone unfamiliar with the terminology, if the whole length is threaded then it's a screw, or setscrew If you wanted to be pedantic. Usually referred to by the trade as simply "sets". If the upper part is smooth with a threaded section at the end then it becomes a bolt. The terms are the same irrespective of the type of head, although some people would refer to a fully threaded one with a hexagon head as a setbolt. All very straightforward 😂

Just for future reference, the only time fasteners are specified by overall length is when they are countersunk.

Any fastener that has a non-countersunk head is specified by 'length under head'.
Noted on one site, 'threaded section' length required.
Live and learn. Tks.

Latest posts

Back