Scratched oak floor, how to finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinken

Established Member
Reaction score
As above the mother in law has a scratched solid oak floor (deep scratch)

I am not sure what the finish is, is it best to sand the scratch out only or sand the entire floor and then finish?

What would you recommend to finish the floor?

Here are some pics of said floor,

Sorry about quality (camera phone)

28072009010.jpg

28072009009.jpg

28072009008.jpg

Hi,

Rub some varnish into the scratch and see if it acceptable (might remind her to be more carefull if it is still there), or sand and re-finish the whole floor.

Pete

steam it to raise any compressed fibres, and then try filling with wax and buffing with a rag to match the sheen of the rest. You can also substitute shellac touchup stick for wax, it's available in a number of tones which will allow you to match the floor colour.

I'd not go for those waxes. They are great for filling very small pinholes but are too uniform in colour and you'll be very lucky to get one that matches exactly and you'll be left with a coloured crayon line.

I'd go the steam route and then use beeswax. Difficult to see the exact colour from the pictures as the colour rendition is different in each photo. Or possibly buy any of the polyurethane based products and try that. It's most likely what the manufacturers of the floorbvoards used as they look to be pre-finished boards...difficult to tell. Polyurethane will give you that authentic orange tinge :wink:

Thanks mate i appreciate your help!

what exact polyurathene product would you reccomend?

Latest posts

Back