Scraper Plane. C D Monninger or Stanley?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardHants

Established Member
Reaction score
This scraper plane No 112 has no manufacturer's name. It looks just like the 112 Stanley on Patrick's blood and gore, but the iron has the name C D Monninger, St Anna works, London etched into it. So, is it a Stanley with someone else's iron, or did C D Monninger make the whole plane?

Attachments

• P1060993.JPG
    P1060993.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P1060992.JPG
    P1060992.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
likely to be a stanley, looks like an early one, the blade will have been changed from the original one.

I have one that is identical.......had it for at least 35 years. There's no Stanley name on it except for the number '112' on the front of the casting.

At that age, they often come without the blade, so it looks as if the blade is a replacement.

Last edited:
no real comment on the plane - I had one in the past and don't do veneer work so the cap iron sort of eliminated its usefulness.

But what I did with the one that I had was make a replacement blade out of a hard saw. The sound from that blade as well as the same thing in an 80 is a "mouthy" tool (one that is very loud when you use it).

It looks like someone making that blade or wherever it came from wasn't going to tolerate a noisy scraper blade.

Many of those were probably set up with files (the thinner originals) and sparingly honed, but consumed pretty quickly from being filed.

If someone has accurate history of the blade itself, that'd be a real treat.

There are blades available for these........ either make your own or, if I remember correctly, Kunz in Germany used to offer a direct replacement. Notwithstanding the horrendous import costs of stuff from Europe nowadays.

From my own plane's measurements, and amongst other likely spares, the Lie-Nielsen blade is too thick for the Stanley throat, though the Veritas equivalent will work, even if it's a slightly different shape.

To do your own, you need plate that is no more than 3/32 thick. There is no tension screw, so file it dead straight across (take off the corner arises) and turn your burr onto that. Some folk file at 45 degrees and just burr one side, but I do it dead square and burr both edges so that it can be turned when blunt. It's a matter of choice.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back