Scotland... a quick spin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dod
I'll be in the Gelston area immediately after Easter....

Jenx
The UPs are far too complicated... tried NSP but couldn't get on with bellows

Only tried Northumbrians once myself, and the whole 'co-ordination thing' got the better of me ! ( I'm no piper though ! )

But the sound of the Uilleann's has that fantastic haunting quality, without the "harshness" of the highland pipes ... Harshness is perhaps not the right word, but I'm sure you know the sentiment I'm going for there ..

My mum took me to see the Fureys & Davey Arthur when I was a wee boy.. and Finbarr came back on at the interval, just himself... sat down with his Uilleann's and said " I cant remember a time when I didn't play these.. I have photos of me playing when I was 3 years of age", and he did a 20 minute set himself in the interval.
From then on.. been captivated by the sound of the things.. just lovely !

But I do agree .. the complexity of such an octopus would cause me to give them a wide berth and stick to the tin whistles !

:wink: :lol: :lol:

Davey Arthur.... had the real pleasure of spending a little time with him in Jan... he made my banjo talk!! Quite a long chat ... I wandered off to bed around 2am :shock: :D

(..it's a baby short neck tenor with resonator.... something else I can't play :lol: :lol: )

Put it on the reminder list... if there's room I'll add it to the van packing list ... :lol:
(so far, I need room for a mini lathe, 2 or 3 sets of pipes, melodeon and banjo)
Mandolin... got one of those too ...can't play that either :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're going to be in the Livingston/ Edinburgh area, there's an active wood-turning club in Broxburn that is always welcoming. The workshop is also used by stick makers and I think there's an instrument group too.

Rob

Back