Schleining workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintsman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After much thought and head-scratching, I decided to build a bench based on Lon Schleining's 'best of old and new' in his excellent book. The only modifications were that I would fill in the end frames with raised panels and add a central tool tray (or dust collector) with a removable centr section to aid clamping (copied from DC's design for LN's bench)

One large pile of steamed beech duly collected, chosen for strength, stability, price, availability and appearance.

DSCN0292.jpg

Having cut, sized and planed the legs and cross pieces, I glued up a couple of panels and raised them on my Norm-based jig

DSCN0404.jpg

Guard removed for clarity, ahem..........

View of the other side of the jig, with finely crafted handles....

DSCN0405.jpg

I used draw-bored mortise and tenons for the lower joints and wedged tenons for the upper joints, using walnut for the dowels and wedges for a nice contrast.

One end frame all assembled, complete with floating panel

DSCN0410.jpg

And with its twin.

DSCN0409.jpg

Next was to fit the four stretchers (again with wedged M & T joints) and finish off the joints with the 5.5

DSCN0412.jpg

Now for the top: two sections (with the tool tray in between) each made up of 5 pieces of beech, 2" wide and 2.75" deep.
Having cut and jointed each piece, next job was to rout the square dog holes using a jig

DSCN0414.jpg

Note the use of scrap sign-writing pieces for the jig!

One strip complete with dog holes.

DSCN0413.jpg

Glued the strips into two slabs, aligning as carefully as possible with strategically placed biscuits to minimise final flattening. Then ran each slab through the P/T to a shade over 2.5". Bloody hell, they're getting heavy now!

DSCN0415.jpg

Now the fun starts! Cutting the half-blind dovetails to fit each end cap to the front apron.

DSCN0416.jpg

The end caps have a groove routed in them to fit (with a small allowance for seasonal movement) onto a tongue on each end of the slabs to form a breadboard end. The caps are attached to the slabs with bed bolts and a little glue at one end of each cap.

Forgot to take pics of the next couple of stages, so jump to an upside down view of the assembled top, having fitted the end vice (a Veritas twin screw that I bought about two years ago!). Having read elsewhere of one or two drawbacks for this bit of kit, I decided to fit no-clearance supports for the two screws to eliminate sag at full extension (those who suffer from this affliction will no doubt sympathise........

DSCN0417.jpg

Another view of the underside, showing the support block for the front vice (a simple quick release one) and the high tech release system for the removable section of the tool tray.

DSCN0418.jpg

Et voila: all done. Finished with three coats of Danish oil.

DSCN0419.jpg

Hope you approve, guys: it's my first big project after lots of planters, garden tables, small cupboards, etc and my first go at posting pictures!

DSCN0420.jpg

DSCN0421.jpg

All the best,

Paul

Looks like a great bench, Paul 8) =D>

I'd be interested to hear how you find the Veritas twin-screw end vice. I'm beginning to think that, maybe, it makes the ultimate end vice as it does not rack.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

simple

You make it look so easy! ;)

Well done. That bench will see a few lifetimes work

Looks brilliant Paul - you've done a job on that which will hopefully make it the last bench you ever have to build.

Cheers, Ed

Mightily impressive, if you've only done simple bits and pieces before then you obviously have a talent for this. A great bench, now come and build me one - though I only pay in hob knobs and typhoo :wink:

Damian

Quality work - bet you're well chuffed.

I've got that Veritas on my bench - how do you find it? It has great capacities.

Cheers

Karl

That is a cracking workbench, you should be very proud of what you've accomplished!! :D

How much do you reckon it all cost?

The end panels are actually a good idea, or so I've read, as they should help prevent the bench from racking too much.

I really like the Veritas vice, simply for the fact that it doesn't rack. I couldn't justify the cost though... Does anyone know if it's possible to achieve something similar (an anti-racking tail vice) using a pair of single vice screws?

OPJ":7oz1qvbl said:
I really like the Veritas vice, simply for the fact that it doesn't rack. I couldn't justify the cost though... Does anyone know if it's possible to achieve something similar (an anti-racking tail vice) using a pair of single vice screws?

By reputation at least the Veritas can and does rack- but you can correct it, obviously.

You could probably make your own from single-vice screws. I've posted the link to my twin-screw vice made out of a pair of Record 53s enough times already, but that's another way if you can find a couple of cheap ones s/h.

Thanks for all the kind comments, chaps. Glad you like it.

Paul: so far, I'm very impressed with the Veritas vice. It's a bit of a fiddle to set up, but OK if you just follow the instructions and don't try to cut corners! You can, of course, use the sprung pin to disconnect the chain linking the two screws. This allows a small amount of intentional racking for holding tapered objects.

Damian: ummmm... hobknobs......Make it hobknobs and Talisker and I might be tempted....

Next project is to fill the space underneath with drawers: nice piece of walnut still lying around ready for the drawer fronts.

Thanks to the friendly forum for all the immensely useful tips and info

All the best.

Paul

Latest posts

Back