Scheppach Planer & thicknesser hms 2600ci

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
Looking at one of these second hand,
It was bought a few years back and has had very little use at all, Small amount of surface rust as unused.
Price is in the region of £600.
Any one any experience of these machines, are they a faff to change from plane to thickness mode?
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks James

Hi I have used this machine in a previous job the blades were easy enough I haven't got anything to compare it to all these combo machines are a bit of a faff but all you do is drop the thicknesser table done to 150 I think lift the table up pull a lever and flip over the guard it was a good machine I would get one again but that sounds abit dear I think they are 800 new

I have one of these, bought along with the table saw.

Well worth it, once you have the table set up right it gives a great finish and dust extraction linked to a dusty bin is very good. Is not quite as large as some of the other machines out there, though is heavy. Get it for a number starting with a 5 and I think it's still well worth it. As with all of these machines, when you change the blades it takes time to replace the new ones.

It will need a 16 amp supply though, I did use on a 13amp supply for a while, and it worked, but when it's cold, on startup and you start it it could trip your electrics.

I bought one of these for £400 a couple of years back, Good solid machine, and as has already been said, easy enough to change over from planer to thicknesser, but you do lose the thickness setting. Excellent finish but the fence is a bit flimsy. You do need to check that the 90 deg setting is still set each time you put on the fence. £600 is too much - but would be worth £500.

Thanks guys
After some research i see it's basically the older model of what scheppach now call the plana 3.0.
Interestingly I see scheppach have a plana 3.1c out in germany / france etc at the moment, Seems to be about 1200 euros so about the same as the 3.0.
No where in the UK have it apart from machine mart but its about £1600.. not unusual for machine mart to be multiple hundreds above other retailers for stuff like that, quite like screwfix also does.
Might hold back a bit for that one, looks real good and seems to be more based on the jet style planer thicknessers where you just flip the entire planer table up and it's instantly ready for thicknessing.

Cheers

Jmac80":xes3fvy1 said:
.............seems to be more based on the jet style planer thicknessers where you just flip the entire planer table up and it's instantly ready for thicknessing.

Cheers

I think you'll find that the outfeed table flips up, but you need to lower the thicknesser table to below about 150mm to enable the extractor chute to be rotated in to position.

As Google are showing machine mart doing this model for £699.00 I guess that £600. second hand is a bit expensive today.
I have a hm 260, that my dad gave me years ago, still going strong. as long as people don't drag it around by the tables.
I don't think they (Scheppach) command big money second hand, although Its another example of good German engineering, in my view.
Regards Rodders

Jmac80":2i9nfdz7 said:
blackrodd the plana 2.0 is £699 on machinemart
the plana 3.0 is £1099

You're title just mentions hms 2600ci,
Had I known you meant a different or later model, I may have been able to answer you're query,
with some accuracy.
Regards Rodders

I had one for a few years, got it ex demo from a show and paid about 950. The ci is important and far better than the earlier ali table versions. Mass just seems to settle the whole thing down. I found it very precise and reliable, full width thicknessing so long as you aren't greedy with depth of cut. Only thing is it's a bit slow to flip from surface to thickness. As said, raise outfeed then flip extract hood up, but to do that you have to drop the thicknesser table right down - a lot of handle winding.
I'd recommend it at around 500, much above that I'd be looking elsewhere. I sold mine when I got a Sedgwick 260, won't be selling that for a good old while :D

blackrodd":3vsg5tqu said:
Jmac80":3vsg5tqu said:
blackrodd the plana 2.0 is £699 on machinemart
the plana 3.0 is £1099

You're title just mentions hms 2600ci,
Had I known you meant a different or later model, I may have been able to answer you're query,
with some accuracy.
Regards Rodders
yes 2600c not 260

Hi, I've recently bought the 2600ci off flee bay paid 400 for it. Have to say it needed a bit of work but it's an excellent bit of kit.

Hello,

Dragging up an old thread, but the topic is still relevant. i have been offered one of these from a guy i work with as i had mentioned i was looking for a PT. It is lots lees then the number quoted on here as being a reasonable price second hand, and i am really happy to read that so many people have had good experiences with it,
however....

it is missing the blade guard and the fence. In a few places i have read that the fence on these was actually rather flimsy. Has anyone replaced theirs with an aftermarket or homemade one superior to the oem. If i was to buy the fence and the blade cover from HMS then i would be over £300 lighter. Add that onto the price of the PT makes me question its cheapness.

Thanks for any advice

Chris

Hey, I went for it in the end and so far so good. I have no experience of this type of machine. But have been in engineering for some 15 years. So I know my way round.

I like the steel construction and the method for the raise and lower of the thicknesser. Though the bed adjustment height for the jointer is rather crude, it took me an hour or two to square everything back up using a 600mm straight edge and a bottle jack. ( more to support the weight than for the lift). And like wise with the knives. I had no other method so have used what common, allowing the blades to lift the straight Edge and draw it forward a small amount. 3.5mm seem good to me on this, I had terrible snipe at 7mm. I am a bit sad to see plastic used on the drive sprockets but they have faired very well all things considered

I have yet to purchase the fence and guard for it. And am still toying with designs to mak one. But time has not been allotted for that yet.

So all in all, for the money I paid I am super pleased with it. I have produced a couplen of ash chopping boards. And some mini roof trusses for bird houses from oak for Christmas.

Back