SAW Stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Karl

I'm so sorry that I quoted you out of context....usually journalists and reporters are doing it and I'm not one of them...I really apologize for that.

It's just that this sentence caught my eye and reminded me...

Yes you are correct, I would choose also the SS that, as I heard, it's a very high quality saw even without the "hot dog" feature.

But I had a look also at the price, $3,300 (shipping not included) and until it will arrive to EU, the price will jump to the normal European prices.

Considering the fact that The Bosch-4000 (bench saw) costs ~$500 in USA and $1000 in EU and Hitachi M12V - $120 in USA.....$600 in Poland.....I think that the price of the SS in EU will become around twice the price in USA...and, for that money maybe, one can buy some better EU made saw

I don't know the taxation laws in UK but, in other country, if you are registered business, first, you buy without VAT and second, all the tools that you buy for the business are deducted from the annual income so maybe as a Pro, it's a good deal but for amateurs like me...I'll stick to safe technics...

Best Regards
niki

Personally I think it's a great idea. I too would have reservations, questioning while I used it if it would work but I can guarentee you that I wouldn't dare try it out. I can't see it leading me to be less careful either due to the above and I bet a replacement stop and blade would be expensive. In the US I think it's $2899 so at todays rate about £1450. If some company could ship them over and sell them for around £1600 I think I would be prepared to pay it. After all I have a JET Supersaw and they were £1300 two years ago. I too work in the avaition industry but even there we try to mitigate against both the human and mechanical element. We are all human and make mistakes it's a fact of life. Some mistakes have bigger implications than others. In aviation all systems are heavily backed up both in the air and on the ground. I'd hate to think this wasn't the case because someone thought that to have such backups would make us less careful. Would you rather fly transatlantic on a plane with one engine because you think that would make the engineers more careful whan fixing it? I can understand all comments for and agains but this is just my 10p worth. I guess we're all lucky Scrit doesn't post here any more or we'd all be getting both barrels. :wink:

p111dom":7xa6lz6p said:
I guess we're all lucky Scrit doesn't post here any more or we'd all be getting both barrels. :wink:

:lol: And his disciples :lol: He's still a member so could make a guest appearance. :shock:

Yeah - I wonder if he secretly browses and we could tempt him out of the shadows. Keep up the talk of working practices boys!!!

Niki - thanks for clarifying that.

Cheers

Karl

karlley":3i5dg0uj said:
Yeah - I wonder if he secretly browses and we could tempt him out of the shadows. Keep up the talk of working practices boys!!!

Niki - thanks for clarifying that.

Cheers

Karl
I would think he does, well there are more members hiding their identities viewing the forum these days.

Why would you want to hide your identity :-k 8)

I use my table saw for much more than just cutting timber, and having, like Niki, spent part of my working life in the aircraft industry I make extensive use of jigs, all home made.
My apprenticeship was as a jig maker in the aircraft industry and guards were not what they are today, so jigs normally included a means of keeping fingers well out of the way.
In the best of worlds you can still be unfortunate. We used to buy in felled timber and convert it ourselves, the sawing being preceeded by a check with a WW2 mine detector. On table saws I had it drummed into me that you NEVER stood in line with the blade. That was reinforced one day when we hit a file in a Lime trunk that had not been detected. Some 60 saw blade teeth stitched a line in the wall behind after safely passing by me.
You never forget lessons like that!

Back