Saw bushing washers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I have a couple of machines with 5/8” arbors. Blades to suit are generally more expensive than the standard 30mm bore jobbies that are commonly available at most outlets. I do have a couple of 30mm to 5/8” bushing washers but am struggling to get them on correctly as they tend to go on askew and stay that way. Is there a knack to doing this properly or is use of a bushing washer just a fool’s errand? Feedback from those with first hand experience of using them would be much appreciated.

On the blade. It’s an extremely tight fit and nigh on impossible to true to saw plate. Any ideas on the best way to go about doing this?

I have a 5/8" arbour on my startrite 275, so am quite interested
I have never tried this but would freezing the washer and or heating the saw plate work?
Just a thought as its practised with bearings.
Tom

I put the blade on some flat (smaller than the teeth diameter so the plate sits flat. I then sit the washer in place and use a piece of wood with a nice large flat face and give it a few taps with the hammer. Need to check your washer doesn't have any burrs on the edge, same goes for the blade bore. taking off the sharp edge of each of them helps too but you need to be careful not to take off too much, a bit of 400 grit W&D paper will do the job nicely.

That’s interesting as the washers all have something of a serrated or knurled edge to them. I had assumed this was the case in order to help them bite into the saw plate but perhaps not? Have the ones you have previously used been the same or were the edges smooth?

Some were knurled, still need to check for burrs though and some were smooth. I have also made my own in the past.

I always use washers on my own Wadkin AGS10 to go from 30 mm to 5/8", indeed I don't own any blades with 5/8" holes. I don't make a big deal about it, just push the washer into the hole, fit it onto the arbor (and refit it in place if it comes out during that process, but it usually doesn't) then tighten the nut (with a tommy bar in the inside of the arbor). This is enough to push everything flat together. I have had no problems with cutting and commonly use rip, crosscut and combo blades.

As I recall the washers were all a tight fit; I don't recall any serrated edges, in fact I had the impression they were just stamped out.
Keith

Old table saw was the same, washer was thinner gauge material than the blade, kept the blade centred but if slightly out of true with the blade this didn’t matter as the arbour flanges did not contact the washer only the blade. If the blade were the same thickness or thinner than the washer then I think it would be a real problem.

F.

Back