Sausages

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in Ayreshire some time ago, fitting out a friends MIL's kitchen.
In the local cafe' they served a cracking breakfast, including flat sausage meat, fried, absolutely wonderful!
Regards Rodders

Ahhh Lorne sausage, the secret is to use both nutmeg and mace in the mix

Droogs":3jocz5m3 said:
Ahhh Lorne sausage, the secret is to use both nutmeg and mace in the mix

Is That what it was, Lorne sausage, 3, or 4 years ago, Humugous breakfast, and we still talk about it!
Thanks for that, Rodders

I think one of the most important things when cooking (and subsequently scoffing) sausages is to give them plenty of time to cook.
Having read an article by Matthew Fort (food critic bloke) I now cook mine for about 45mins to an hour over an extremely low heat. I don't turn them nor prick them.
I'll never go back to any other way.
I know cooking bangers for an hour sounds crazy but give it a go.
Just remember - smallest ring on the hob, decent heavy pan, lowest heat possible (although it's OK to give them a few minutes all round to get them going) and then leave them be. If you must interfere with the process then gently turn them after 30 mins but other than that no touching. AND NEVER PRICK them.

Well yes, it does sound a tad crazy. But what is the benefit? What does it do? I can see an aesthetic benefit if they are cooked in the oven rather than on a pan, as you would be less likely to get burnt stripes alternating with pale. But that really does seem like a long time.

Not sure what the science is Steve but I know that a quite ordinary banger can end up being transformed, although nothing will ever make the Richmond ones edible.

I suspect it's that as the sausage heats through slowly everything gets a chance to mingle etc producing a more rounded flavour - something akin to slow cooking joints of meat, casseroles etc.

All I can suggest is to give it a go - what have you got to lose (apart from 45minutes of your life)?

Latest posts

Back