Sat Nav question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought a Satnav for a longish continental driving holiday next month and have been getting to grips with it, as you do. I have a question which may be a bit daft, don't know, hope someone can shed some illumination on it for me.
Suppose you want to drive from A (home say) to B and you programme the SatNav accordingly. At some point we will stop for a break, switch off the SatNav, remove it from the windscreen dock, place in SWIMBO's sack and leave the vehicle.
When we come back to the Landy, re-dock the SatNav and switch on, does it remember where its going to or does it have to be reprogrammed from the stopping point to the destination B?
I've been puzzling over this one for a couple of days now, hope the question isn't one that can be immediately booted into the 'what a Klutz' pile. Many thanks - Rob

Guess it might depend on the software. TomTom that I use will always remember your last journey. In TomTom you can also program an itinerary which may be more appropriate for a long journey with known stops along the route.
In fact my sat nav is built into my PDA phone. Sometimes I switch it on in a shop to make a call say, and it blurts out at full volume that I need to turn around when possible :oops: :oops:!!
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon - the unit I have is the TomTom 710 which has a 'recent destination' icon so I guess that your destination (point B) will be the first item on the screen so you tap that and it recalculates the route. Will have to have a try out - many thanks - Rob

Rob - I have TomTom Navigator 5 - yours is a bit more flash :) but similiar. Yes I described that badly - you shouldn't even have to select last destination - it will remain until you reach it or clear the route.
Enjoy it.
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon - many thanks for that, the TT 710 is apparently the 'upgraded' TT 700 and is the first one we've owned. We are off to Switzerland next month which involves about 600 miles of motorway driving in four countries, half of which will be at night as we will be crossing on the midnight ferry from Dover - Dunkirk. Now SWIMBO, bless her, can't even see the writing on a map, let alone navigate from one so we thought that the TT would be a good investment. I didn't want to appear 'flash' but the unit seemed to be the best one for our needs as it shows all European roads, including minor roads, which will be a boon - Rob

Rob - didn't really mean flash - just I think the 710 has some extras to my PDA version - like text to speech (says the actual road name as opposed to just turn left) + some other stuff . But you'll love it. It does get things wrong sometimes but generally does a good job.
Sounds like quite some journey.
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon - so far have been very impressed with the TT, and more to the point, so has SWIMBO. We went into Halfords and spoke to the guys there about the trip....much sucking of the teeth and oohing and ahing...'bit of a mission' they said....'bit of a mission, satnav a very good idea'....so that's what decided us - Rob

Back