Sash Clamp Heads - Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have acquired six Record sash clamp heads over the past months (both Nos 130 & 140) to complement my other metal sash clamps.

I was wondering what would be the best choice of timber for the 2" by 1" battens upon which the heads are mounted. In choosing the timber type, I assume you need both durability and strength. Cost and availability are factors.

Should you protect the locating holes and what finish would you apply to the timber?

Richard

I used to use 3 or 4x1" lumps of whatever was available...it's not critical. Just make sure there are no knots or defects in it, no finish (apart from being par) is needed either - Rob

One other tip if yours are the older ones which have a metal pin which holds it on to the wooden bar - I have replaced the metal pins on mine with bolts and nuts. Helps to prevent lots of cursing and swearing as the pin drops out and the cramp head falls off at a critical moment (the newer Record cramp heads come with bolts and nuts as standard).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

flounder":zae7py8d said:
Alf":zae7py8d said:
I'd wax them, unless you really want to glue them to your project... :D

Is that the voice of experience?? :lol:
99 times out of 100 it would be, but in this case - amazingly - no. :lol: Done some of that swearing and cursing Paul mentions though, so also replaced the pins with bolts. Oh, and some cork tile stuck to the faces is a nice refinement.

Alf":rdceu6pu said:
cork tile stuck to the faces is a nice refinement.
Posh or what? :lol: ...I use a bit of old mouse mat or cushion flooring (the Nairn stuff I think) - Rob

Has anybody used the cheapo versions of these that are available on the 'bay?

I just wondered if the were worth the gamble for the odd time i'll wanty to use them?

Paul Chapman":1tore1kk said:
One other tip if yours are the older ones which have a metal pin which holds it on to the wooden bar - I have replaced the metal pins on mine with bolts and nuts. Helps to prevent lots of cursing and swearing as the pin drops out and the cramp head falls off at a critical moment (the newer Record cramp heads come with bolts and nuts as standard).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I drilled the pins for "R" clips.

For up to 8 foot I've had success with inch ply rips. For longer runs, for example: pulling newel posts and a long run of handrail up tight enough to get the draw bore dowels in, a clear grained Douglas Fir / B.C. Pine rail works real well.
I also advocate oiling/waxing the rails, and yes this is the writing of experience :oops: :lol: The man who never made a mistake, never made a thing. :wink:
Rob.

why use timber at all? I use 50x25x3 box section. I have made several nice clamps from junk off-cuts over the years, and if your local fabricator is anything like where I work three or four foot long off-cuts are a good get rid of. If you want longer a stock length is 25', and that should meet anybodies need.

A pleasent little job drilling off the pin/bolt holes. A coat of red oxide and paint and there you are a sash cramp that is stronger than the head itself.

Gareth

woodbloke":2eghwhz0 said:
Alf":2eghwhz0 said:
cork tile stuck to the faces is a nice refinement.
Posh or what? :lol:
I'd have kept using the best Axminster shag pile, but it gave a whole new meaning to hairy glue-ups. :lol:

t8hants":2eghwhz0 said:
why use timber at all?
Woodworkers have a lot of it about, I suppose. :D

Hi,

I made my cramp bars from cheap pine. nice amd light and just about strong enough, if you have made it right it won't need much cramp pressure :wink:

Pete

Ok - so lots of ideas for the bars but:

has anybody made any cramp heads?

I feel it ought to be possible but not got an idea for how!

Pete

stoatyboy":n0napgwy said:

Pete
Why bother?...they're cheap enough to buy. I let Paul C have a severial a coupla years ago in exchange for a few vinovouchers - Rob

stoatyboy":35jaczum said:

Pete

Steve,

do a search on u-tube for noho91 videos - he has made some interesting cramp heads (as well as many other projects)

Dave

Alf":1ey2jj60 said:
Oh, and some cork tile stuck to the faces is a nice refinement.
Brilliant (I hope) !! I've just gone out and stuck self adhesive cork to all my clamp heads.
I'd wax them, unless you really want to glue them to your project...
Hmmm. I think I'll try that too. I just have to take another skim off the bars throught the thicknesser (they're just a bit tight at present)
...so also replaced the pins with bolts.
Here I disagree. While it's true that the pins always fall out just when you least need them to, I think nuts and bolts would be a PITA.

I have two pairs of Record No.130 heads and a Marples M130 pair. I note the pins on the Records are drilled for a ⅛" split-pin/nail to retain them - 'though the Marples pair aren't. I've always intended to pick up some R-clips - which, I think, will be much more convenient to use than bolts with nuts.

I'll just have to drill the Marples pins too :roll: .

Cheers, Vann.

Back