Sanding / finishing Vase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
Made the below, not my best finish as I was rushed and its more of a test piece TBH.

Struggled with the internal finish, couldn't get a smooth line with my hollowing tool and its bumpy. No way to get hand in, so how would I sand it and what finish should I use ?

I usually use sanding sealer mix that I then lightly sand then wood wax 22 but obv. without getting my hand in I cant really use this.

Thanks

Jim

2016-07-10%2023.08.25.jpg

2016-07-11%2012.25.54.jpg

Several ways:-
1. Use a split sick ith sheet abrasive stock threaded through.
2. Mount Small drum sanders on hex extension bar.
3. Do as I often do and use normal Velcro sanding pads with oversize square sheets so that the corner flaps and abrasive overhang abrade down the sides.
DSCN5297.JPG

Couldn't put my hand on the long hex extension bar I normally use but you should get the idea.
DSCN5296.JPG

Likewise for sealer and wax application, use cloth in split stick.

Attachments

• DSCN5297.JPG
    DSCN5297.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 582
  • DSCN5296.JPG
    DSCN5296.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 582
I use the Simon hope long reach inertia sander as found here

because its green oak i would just apply lemon oil for now, then once its dry i would use a longer lasting oil finish like woodoc, danish oil etc

Simon Hope also has a long reach shear scraper which is good for using after the hollowing tool but before sanding

I would have shear scraped the inside as above and then use either of the sanding ideas as both posts. I use the simon hope system where it will fit otherwise as Chas sandpaper on a stick

Back