sanders... blet, disc or combi ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, I'm looking at some new gear and have decided on a bobbin sander but wondered if a disc, belt or combined would be worth the additional costs. I'll be using then on guitars and bandsaw boxes. cheers guys and gals

A bobbin sander would likely be 1st choice and the most expensive (ignoring pillar drills that do not oscillate)
As an additional sander a combined belt/disk would probably be the most flexible choice - although the combined thing linisher and disk types might be attractive .
Which ones did you have in mind ?

Belt and disc sanders are very useful and can remove a lot of material if required. I'd not be without mine.

I've got the rut lands bobbin sander (not the combined one) picked it up when it was £89 and then got some additional discount for some reason so it was cheap.

Have to say I'm pretty please, it's powerful and dust extraction seems to be ok. Surface seems to be solid and stable. It is quite noisy but that's the only negative I've got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trigs, I do a lot of boxes and the Rutlands combined ine will be enough for you. The belt sander is used most but the bobin sander also used a lot. That was not available over her when I bought the two I have and the Rutlands one is a good price and will do all you need..

Hi,

I guess it all depends on what you need it for, but i have both an Axminster 12" disc sander and a Clarke combined belt/disc sander. The latter is a recent buy but a great disappointment. It was their 8" disc version, not the smaller cheaper one.

The Axminster disc sander is quiet and pleasant to use and I have it on a wheeled base so it goes where I need it. It also has an Earlex vacuum cleaner in the base that is hooked into it and both can be switched on together.

In contrast the Clarke machine is noisy, vibrates around and needs a wedge under one leg as the base casting is far from straight. In truth, I really should return it. I left an honest review for their web site that never got published!

For curved work I have a number of Carroll sanding drums of various sizes and a fixture for my pillar drill. Not as good or convenient as a bobbin sander as you tend to just wear one bit of the paper but again they are quiet and very well made.

The one I wouldn't be without is the 12" disc sander. I can't recommend it enough.

Regards,

Colin

Latest posts

Back