same machines different badges???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardnut

Reaction score
just lost first post so i'll try again. hello all computing and spelling you will soon find are not my best skills i'm a second generation builder who has covered most trades.I very much believe in old school methods and values
right question 1. I need to put a saw and plainer /thicknesser on a job for probably about a year 100 miles away from my home and w/shop i've looked at the sip and the i tech which seem to me to be the same but different badges and to pay extra for the sliding table extra £350 only then to chuck away the left hand table and guide seems daft so looking at the axminster aw10bsb2 @£859 or the jet jets 600 @£880 what do you lot think? as for the plainer shepach or axminster aw106 pt2 @£647

Welcome to the forum.

Just spent a couple of years renovating an old cottage. To put things in perspective, it was gutted and taken back to it's bare brickwork infill and original timber frame. Many of the original timbers were rotten and replaced. A wall was knocked down and replaced with a 10 x 8 oak beam as were several other dodgy beams. One room had all the 4 x 3 oak ceiling joists replaced. Oak flooring throughout.

My philosophy was to buy in the key machines I needed and then flog them on eBay. The one tool that got most use you haven't mentioned and that was the SIP 12" SCMS complete with stand. It cut everything. Brilliant bit of kit for site work. Bought for £189 total. Sold two years later for £150.

Bought a SIP table saw..the smaller one. That had surprisingly little use as I didn't have that much stuff to rip down. Kitchen was bought in so no panels to cut etc. Instead I ended up using my Festool circular saw and guide much more frequently. Stick the wood/panel/MDF down onto a bit of Kingspan, line up your guide and cut. Simples. So my advice is skip the table saw.

Planer/thicknesser. Don't laugh but I bought a Clarke cheapie. It was quite happy planing the 4 x 3 oak joists. Hardly did any thicknessing so why would you want one for site work?

They worked for me. Maybe they might work for you?

Roger

Hi Ardnut,
I have the aws10bsb model its a good saw for the money although I've found the sliding table needs attention to keep it square, the rip fence is good even with a very slight dip in the middle of the table which doesn't affect the squareness of the cut.

Other owners have also spoke of the dip in the cast table with Axminster stating that "its within the tolerances of a machine in that price range" but again nobodys said it affected the cut. What type of work will you be doing? I've renovated my house and the saw was more than adequate for that, the only problems were making furniture and sizing panels that required a bit more accuracy.

The only issue I could think of is if the job your placing the machines is damp I have to keep my workshop heated in the winter to prevent the cast tables rusting.

Hope this helps.

Back