Same Key Locks for Hardwood Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be posted under General Woodworking but here goes....
I plan to replace my front and back doors with new hardwood doors.
I would like to fit "Yale" type locks (Night Latches?), but both with identical keys. I am totally confused, searched the net, most results are talking about locks for plastic doors, euro cylinders, insurance approved locks, mortice locks, but nothing that tells me in simple language, what I need for a slam shut lock that I can fit on my wooden doors and will uses the same key!
Any help appreciated...
Thanks in anticipation!
John

I have all the main doors keyed alike, with the main external doors fitted with Yale-type locks, plus 5 Lever Chubbs.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Buy your locks from a reputable (i.e. proper) locksmith and ask him to select the barrels (or tumblers, as appropriate) to be keyed alike.
The locksmith will change the guts to suit.
If he scratches his head, go elsewhere.

Mind you.... it ain't cheap to equip a set of doors, but does save on keys.

(If you're in the Camberley area, pm me for a recommendation).

John

Screwfix do night latches, they should be able to supply identical cylinders.
As Argus says for security it would be advisable to have deadlocks as well.
Dennis

Whatever you decide on, ensure the locks are kitemarked to BS3621:2004 standards for insurance purposes. Note, changing the cylinders to KA may affect the BS rating unless similar standard cylinders (minimum 6 pin) are used. Always wise to check with your insurer first - and get their response in writing.

Why not select your lock from the Ironmongery Direct catalogue, and order over the phone. When you place your order tell them that the locks must be "suited" or "keyed alike". There will be a delay in comparison to what would normally expect from them, but by doing it that way you will be able to see a picture of what you are actually getting.

This presumes you don't have a local locksmith.....otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question, I guess!

Mike

Latest posts

Back