Salvaged teak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in another post that I salvaged a trailer load of teak a few years ago. I stored it at the back of my wood (junk) shed and it hasn't seen the light of day until today.

I'm up to wallplate height on my house extension (that's another story) and needed to access the roof timbers I bought 5 years ago so.....1/2 days labour later and there's the teak!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16063116@N ... otostream/

This little lot is is what I've kept as I gave quite a bit away and is only a fraction of the stuff that was skipped by a high school demolishing their science labs. They were throwing it out of 1st floor windows into huge skips and would allow me only one load which I had to take during their teabreak for health 7 safety reasons.

I was devastated at the scale of the waste. :shock: :(

Most of the timber is 30mm thk and has holes where I removed bunsen burners etc and of course loads of kids grafiti carved into it.. :lol:

haven't thought of any projects yet - suggestions welcomed

Bob

4488018856_0712fe5690.jpg

4487368839_86ae62ec26.jpg

Does it look like this?

I'd make a beautiful set of garden furniture with it...one of those cabin recliners with all the gizmos to recline and lift the front and arms with holes for Martini glasses etc....

I simply love those old 1920 cruiseship design steamer chairs...

riviera-recliner.jpg

If you were closer I would be around and buy some off of you!

Jim

If you were closer I'd give you some free. It would take another couple of hours to get it out though :oops:

Lons":2scs0vx7 said:

If you were closer I'd give you some free. It would take another couple of hours to get it out though :oops:

If there's some going - I'd be happy to have some! :wink:

Lons":299dmxnw said:

That's very kind of you Lons...I wish I lived nearer!

Have fun with it...

Jim

wizer":26mtz8t6 said:
hey jim, we could make a pilgrimage?? ;)

Get a big van....Northumberland...TEAK....Lancashire...BANDSAW....lunch in um.....you choose....back home...start a steamer chair business....all in time for the summer....

You're on!!

:D :D :D

Jim

I'm in if you do all the work and I can just watch ;) :lol:

How about a cross to crucify the idiots who dumped the remainder?

Roy.

Looks like a nice haul. Is this stuff definately teak as i have had quite a bit of reclaimed stuff in the past and it has been 95% Iroko.

cheers

jon

How about a cross to crucify the idiots who dumped the remainder?
Now that is very definately an idea!

Looks like a nice haul. Is this stuff definately teak as i have had quite a bit of reclaimed stuff in the past and it has been 95% Iroko.
While I can't be 100% certain I am pretty sure.
It's very heavy, hard and slightly oily. My mate who tipped me off about the timber was the teacher at the school and is a very acomplished woodworker and woodcarver and he said it was teak. So a good bet I guess.
What the quality is like will be discovered when I eventually start to work it.

If there's some going - I'd be happy to have some!
If you want to sell some I would also be interested. You cant be far away. Northumberlands a small place after all!
Sorry for the minute lads but I need to evaluate the situation before giving any away.
Made the mistake of showing "her who must be obeyed" the pic posted by Jim and after the "ooh I'd quite like some of those", she disappeared to leaf through the mags for inspiration. :( :?

Might be a while - got the extension to finish first - she reminded me today that I started it a year ago - I don't think that's bad as I've done absolutely everything without help........ WOMEN! :)

Back