Safety glasses - with inserts, or without?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some dedicated safety glasses for my hobby woodworking, including router table, table saw and lathe.

I get too my misting when using goggle over my glasses, so I'm looking to get something that doesn't form a tight seal with my face - but still get a wrap-around style.

two options that I see:

Prescription glasses, where A) the wrap around polycarbonate lens is prescription or B) when the polycarbontate lens is plain, but there are prescription inserts just behind the wrap-around lens.

What do people use? what are the pros and cons with what you have experience of?

Cheers,
Sammy

OPTION A: (separate prescription insert)
RxWrap_small.jpg

RxBlack%20Clear.jpg

OPTION B: (no insert)
Titmus_SW06E_orange_small.jpg

I wear varifocals and prefer to keep my ‘normal’ glasses and wear a full face shield. They are cheap as chips, don’t steam up, and afford full face protection. Ive been glad of it on more than one occasion.

search for shooting glasses.
They are normally wrap around and can be ground to your prescription.

Thanks guys.

I'll look into both those options (face mask and shooting glasses).

deema":9ym2mljr said:
I wear varifocals and prefer to keep my ‘normal’ glasses and wear a full face shield. They are cheap as chips, don’t steam up, and afford full face protection. Ive been glad of it on more than one occasion.

Agree on all counts.
Obviously the eyes are the priority but why not protect the rest of your face too.

Thanks all.

I looked into shooting glasses, This looks good - comes with glasses inserts as well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263584424852

Then - because I like my face as well :) - I already have this Axi face visor:
500080_xl.jpg

I think both will be good protection?

Cheers all,
Sammy

Like previous posters, I too use varifocal glasses. The Axi full face shield you show is exactly the one I have and it does just what it says on the tin - comfortable too.

Personally I've never felt the need for anything more.

I use face flasks as suggested and also the trend powered jobbie when I’m tuning. However I found that I also had a need for a less intrusive but decent protection option. I too wear varifocals and I had specsavers make me up a pair of their safety glasses. These were ok but about 12 mon5hs later I had a changed prescription, and it was clear to me that these weren’t the right option for me. I found that Bollie make many safety specs, some of which are made to be worn over ordinary specs. These are often used to give to visitors to a site eye protection wether they wear ordinary specs or not. I tried a couple of different ones, Screwfix keeps one of them, but the best ones came from online and I think they were called Bollie “Sqauale” or something like that. They fit perfectly over my normal specs without interfering, and they don’t steam up. They are my go to protection now unless I’m turning when I use my face sheild.

There are IMO two types of face mask. Those with a bit of flat plastic that is just wrapped around and clips to the head unit and those that are actually moulded to a shape and clip to the head unit. Both are good, but for clarity / reduced distortion the moulded (almost rigid) versions are better, but slightly more expensive.

I wanted a pair of safety glasses for extended wear around factories that were more presentable than the majority of basic designs (I know - fashion victim :) I bought Bolle B712's. They are smart enough and fully certified, but the riveting of the side shields to the mostly plastic legs and the fit of the shields to the frame was a little crude.
I can't do with overglasses. A face shield is more comfortble to me and of course better protection.
In some ways the ideal might be contact lenses plus a set of convention wrap arounds - Bolle Silium recommended by a member here are great - but wood dust doesn't play well with contacts.

Realise it's not bang on topic but as another option....

Bolle Pilots. I had a Damascus moment when first trying them and not having to remove my specs and I'm not even that blind. It was just nice to be able to see properly after all those years...
Goggle protection not facial but better fine dust protection as eyes are enclosed if that's an issue.
I need a new pair and will be buying again.
https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/bolle-bolp ... gKzT_D_BwE

Work well with my trend air ace although it is a little bulky tbh. Looking for a link I've just seen that you can buy a face shield for the air ace! :shock: This mask vents down so your googlies stay unmisted.
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Tre ... -Half-Mask
Had no idea.

Cheaper link for the mask ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391781604259

Crikey! The visors are £30!
I'll stick with the Bolles.
:|

Back