safe to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks I am making a small table for some friends as an anniversary present. Using kiln dried Oak.
I've had the boards in the house for three weeks or so acclimatising, and today I thought I'd get them cut to length.

Most of the timber is heart wood but one of the boards has some pale sap wood at either end. Today I noticed that the sap wood has the wriggly troughs and a couple of flight holes indicative of worming. :( I can cut some of it out, but to get the dimensions I need I will have to leave some of the sapwood in, though it won't show as it will be on the underside of the table top.

So if I treat with woodworm killer, I should be OK? I don't for a minute think it is still live but I don't want to take chances, I have a pathological hatred of woodworm, if I ever get to be king of the world I will ban woodworm entirely (along with crocodiles).

What would the worthies on the forum do? New board, or cut out as much as poss and treat the rest?

As usual , thanks in advance

If it's been kiln dried, you should not have any live worms in there at all. Cut away what you can and live with the rest. If you are careful you can splice in another piece of wood and it will be virtually invisible. You can see how I did it here:

Thank you Steve, that is a Very good idea, The sapwood isn't extensive, and I will feel much happier with it gone.

Thank you very much, that has put my mind to rest, all I have to do now is make a good looking job of it.

\Really appreciate yer input.

Back