rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dru
Someone in their customer reviews mentioned the remarkable similarity to the Record version... I find the Dakota a little clunkier but no less usable (I have both btw :wink: )

I find two or more chucks very useful... just for the convenience of not phrting about changing jaws :lol: :roll:

The chuck works as described and at this price you can afford two :lol:

Dru,

I purchased this chuck a while back when it was on offer.

To be honest I think it's great value for money.

I'm certainly no expert in turning but my background is in engineering so I can generally sense rubbish when I see it.

I have stripped this chuck down to give it a good old clean out and it is well made. And with the thread adapter offers some level of upgrade.

I don't think you can go wrong, other jaws are available for it too.

Cheers

Shaun

I have bought from Rutlands on several occasions and have had no problems whatsoever. However, other users of this forum haven't always been as lucky!

I have that chuck (I bought it when it was on offer last time), and also the Record RP4000 which it seems to be a copy of.

I am very happy with mine, and as Oldsoke says, having two chucks saves having to keep swapping jaws all the time.

Regards

Gary

I ordered mine at 15.40 today and the guy told me I should have it tomorrow,,,Sounds good to me but I'll let you know.
I also asked if the jaws are the same fitting as my Nova chuck and he told me they were which makes it an even better deal.
regards,
beejay

Hi
I am not a Turner as yet but I bought the Rutlands chuck last time it was on offer, well Graham did grease the slope,

One observation is that the machine screws holding the jaws are very short to the extent that only 3 threads hold in the chuck

I managed to strip 2 of the screws so I contacted Rutlands who are aware of the problem but no solution except to send me some replacement screws of the same lenghth (yet to arrive),

I have since bought some longer replacement screws from a local supplier,

Cheers Nigel

Yes i also bought this chuck when it was on offer last time,but never really got to use it,because of my upgrade.
But it seemed o.k to me,everything worked nice and smoothly on it.
Ideal for a second chuck i thought.
Paul.J.

druster":2j4c5npq said:
I keep reading allusions to these guys that suggest that they aren't great, I have had good experiences in my few dealings with them, can anyone enlighten me, secondly, they have this offer at the mo, http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/XT700
:?:
what do you think of it?
cheers,
Dru
i think i posted this somewhere before.....i have bought from rutlands a number of times and have no issues with them for smaller in stock items that are delivered as efficiently as other suppliers. However when I ordered a Fox planer thicknesser some years ago they were obviously selling off a boat that hadn't left china. The due date arrived and passed and I was told it was then in transit and a revised date. that passed and it was still in transit (presumably they never thought to get a docking date?) and finally on the third revised date I got my £600 refunded that had sat in their account for over 4 months and bought the dewalt from DM-tools delivered 2 days later. Every supplier can suffer from such delays, but most give customers honest updates and revised dates. I now deal with Axminster and DM-tools for anything substantial via mail order

Rutlands are great as long as they have what you order in stock. I have bought several items from them. 50% have arrived the next day. The other 50% have taken several weeks/months to arrive. The trouble is that they don't update their website with stock information. They take your money and send you a letter a week later giving you a expected delivery date in the future. There is a simple way round this though - Telephone your order in and ask if your items are in stock.

As stated in my earlier post, I ordered my chuck yesterday from Rutlands.
I phoned them at 15.40 and I did ask the guy if it was a stock item which he confirmed.
Well,,,the order arrived this morning at 08.50!! Well done Rutlands.
Had a quick look and all seems ok. havent tried it yet but I can tell that the action is not as smooth as my Nova. Also, havent tried the Nova jaws on it to see if they fit.
First impression is that its good value for money and so far I'm pleased with the purchase and I cant fault the service from Rutlands.
regareds, beejay

Back