Rutlands parallel jaw clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CNC Paul":1tnqw68b said:
I got my 600 and 900 Rutland clamps yesterday, I am impressed
with the quality, another bargain !!!

Paul

Don't get exited yet....... :cry:

I've just tried mine in earnest. Two out of eight slipped on the bar and would not lock when tightened

I've just emailed Rutlands, I'll let you know the outcome. :(

I sent them this email

Yesterday I received my order for two packs of the Dekota 4 pack 600mm Parallel Jaw Clamps (2 x DK2010/4pack) Invoice number DP-0000000

I have now tried to use them but two of the eight clamps will not clamp, the tightening mechanism keeps slipping on the bar as you try to tighten them.

So I would like to have them replaced, do I need a returns number? and is it possible to return them with the same delivery company that delivers the replacement clamps?

Your faithfully

-------------------------
Within five minutes they replied with this email
---------------------------

Thank you for your email and we sincerely apologise for the disappointment in the clamps not working correctly. This is something we have just been made aware of. The clamps arrived in stock on Friday, subsequently the revelation is only just starting to become apparent. Unfortunately we had approximately 10,000 of these clamps in, which makes it virtually impossible to identify each individual customer who may have a faulty clamp.

I can confirm that after extensive investigations into the stock here at our warehouse we have isolated a batch of approximately 500pcs which appear to have a similar problem to what you have experienced. Our technical department have identified the problem to be two small components within the clamp head which assists the clamping mechanism. This has been reported to our manufacturers and measures are in place to replace any malfunctioning components, however, our manufacturers are on a national holiday now until 8th October and therefore we are unable to replace until they are back at work.

We will gladly uplift these clamps and refund in full, or else we can replace the faulty components when these arrive here in stock with us in around 10 days time. Unfortunately it has been a management decision that although only a small majority of the product received has been found to have a fault, we cannot replace with existing stock until the problem has been resolved.

Please accept my sincere apologies once again for this problem, and I await to hear what you would like us to do in respect of the faulty clamps.

----------------------
To which I replied
---------------------

Many thanks for responding so quickly.....

You say in your email "or else we can replace the faulty components when these arrive here in stock with us in around 10 days time."

Is it possible that when these parts are in you could post me two?

As I am more than capable to change the parts myself it will save me posting the whole two clamps and save you from having the cost of delivering another two clamps to me.

I await a reply...

:?

I have just contacted Rutlands to see where my delivery is, only to be told that theres been a problem with the clamps.
Im awaiting a phone call to see when they will be delivered.
I ordered other items too. I thought they would have been sent out with the clamps following :twisted:

Mine turned up about 10 minutes ago, so I will have to try them out now but the plastic bit on the end was broken on two of them.

What are they for ( I would guess to stop the head from falling off ) :-k

Colin C":2xamax7g said:
Mine turned up about 10 minutes ago, so I will have to try them out now but the plastic bit on the end was broken on two of them.

What are they for ( I would guess to stop the head from falling off ) :-k

I ordered four 1200 clamps and one of those also arrived with the plastic bit broken; looked to me like bad packaging from the manufacturer in the first place - given the weight of a 1200 clamp it's easy for the plastic bit to end up taking the whole lot in transit. Like Colin, I reckon it's only there to stop the head falling off (which could be a good idea as I don't normally wear steel toecaps!).
Having read the other experiences, I now need to go and see if I can break them... (hammer) .. (the clamps, not my toes.)

Lord Nibbo":yhk90mnq said:
CNC Paul":yhk90mnq said:
I got my 600 and 900 Rutland clamps yesterday, I am impressed
with the quality, another bargain !!!

Paul

Don't get exited yet....... :cry:

I've just tried mine in earnest. Two out of eight slipped on the bar and would not lock when tightened

I've just emailed Rutlands, I'll let you know the outcome. :(
Oh damn I did get excited after sorting out my order shortfall I went ahead and ordered a 600mm set :roll:. Better try them out soon.
Thanks for the advice LN please keep us posted.

Cheers :)
Tony

received email today that my order for my 900mm clamps that they are waiting for a new batch due to them clamps releasing under presser.
and could be up to four weeks

I would also like to know how the Bessey's join, if I have it right that you can join the Bessey's end to end.

Please someone tell me that I am right on this :? :wink:

I have just received an email stating that new delivery in 4 weeks for the 600mm that I ordered.

I replied that I am also waiting for 1 1200mm missing from my original order and am now concerned that the ones I have may be affected by the manufacturing fault and have asked for advice.

While it is frustrating to have to wait at least the company are communicating with us

Cheers :)
Tony

My set of clamps arrived yesterday, and unfortunately they don't work either :cry: The serrations on the bar are not deep enough (missing altogether in some places) to provide grip. Despite the bars being almost smooth in places the heads are stiff and difficult to move so they are going back for a refund. I did think about the Bessey Uni-Clamps as an alternative because I'm sure Bessey's QA will be better than the non-existent quality system employed in the factory that the Rutlands clamps came out of. I know they are not K-bodies but they would be over £100 for four 600 mm clamps. Does anyone have both K-bodies and Uni-clamps to do a meaningful comparison?

Following on from my initial observations I have to now say that I am having the same problems reported by others. Only 2 out of the 8 I got will hold a grip - the others all sliding down the shaft.

To be fair though, my discussions with Rutlands about this problem have been met with understanding and consideration and it is obvious to me that they have been let down here by their suppliers.

Mine are on the way back unfortunately.

George_N":3ghkl5tt said:
Does anyone have both K-bodies and Uni-clamps to do a meaningful comparison?

Yes, I have both. I absolutely love my K-bodies, but I will still use my uni-clamps for smaller glue ups. They are by no means as meaty as the K-bodies and have no where near the clamping force. But to be honest, if you need more force than the uni-clamps can give to close gaps etc. then you need to go back and check the fit of your joints. The clamp head doesn't move as freely as the K-body's unless it is fully unscrewed, which really isn't a problem. At the end of the day. they clamp wood, and what more could you ask.

Slimjim81":3i0lny0s said:
George_N":3i0lny0s said:
Does anyone have both K-bodies and Uni-clamps to do a meaningful comparison?

Yes, I have both. I absolutely love my K-bodies, but I will still use my uni-clamps for smaller glue ups. They are by no means as meaty as the K-bodies and have no where near the clamping force. But to be honest, if you need more force than the uni-clamps can give to close gaps etc. then you need to go back and check the fit of your joints. The clamp head doesn't move as freely as the K-body's unless it is fully unscrewed, which really isn't a problem. At the end of the day. they clamp wood, and what more could you ask.

Ditto pretty much what Jim says. Also the Uni-klamps don't go bigger than 600mm I don't think. Their lighter weight is generally an advantage to me.

Cheers

Gidon

It might seem that was lucky as all four of my 900mm clamps work fine and as for the plastic ends that had broken, I sent an email yesterday about it and got the new ends today.

That will do me :wink:

B&Q are still selling the Irwin (Record) clamps at £5 for 300mm & 600mm, £7.42 for the 800mm plus a 10% discount for the silver haired :lol:
Other lengths sold out at my nearest store.

Have not tried to break them yet? :)

Rod

Back