Rutlands parallel jaw clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had the Rutlands email flyer about these parallel jaw clamps. Anyone know if the Dakota ones are any good or are they like the Axminster Bessey rip-offs? At 1/4 of the price of Besseys I'm tempted to give them a try.

I have some 300mm ones from a previous offer. They're OK at the (reduced) price, but don't be fooled into thinking you are getting bargain besseys, because they're much cheaper in build quality - again, as they would be at the price.

George_N":f9u7d3uf said:
Just had the Rutlands email flyer about these parallel jaw clamps. Anyone know if the Dakota ones are any good or are they like the Axminster Bessey rip-offs? At 1/4 of the price of Besseys I'm tempted to give them a try.

I've ordered some at £8.73 each you cant go wrong. I limited myself just to the 600mm ones though just incase.

Lord Nibbo":3b775g5y said:
I've ordered some at £8.73 each you cant go wrong. I limited myself just to the 600mm ones though just incase.

I've also taken the plunge and ordered a set of the 600 mm clamps. I'll post my opinion of them after I've had a chance to try them out. I have some kitchen cabinets to build over the next couple of weeks, so I will have an opportunity to put them through their paces.

George_N":3v1rmo47 said:
Lord Nibbo":3v1rmo47 said:

I've also taken the plunge and ordered a set of the 600 mm clamps. I'll post my opinion of them after I've had a chance to try them out. I have some kitchen cabinets to build over the next couple of weeks, so I will have an opportunity to put them through their paces.

Hi George, I got an email back from Rutlands saying they were out of stock until Monday so it's a matter of sit and wait. At least they were good enough to let me know. =D>

Lord Nibbo":2l9m3mpv said:
Hi George, I got an email back from Rutlands saying they were out of stock until Monday so it's a matter of sit and wait. At least they were good enough to let me know. =D>

That's strange, because I've just had an automated email saying that my order will be dispatched today by Parcelforce 24.

My order of 4 600mm and 4 900mm just got delivered.

First impressions:
Heavy and robust.
Looks to be well made.
Tilting handle great for tightening.
Slightly difficult to release the ratchet to allow opening jaws ( maybe improve with use.
Definitely worth the reduced price.
At least as good as my Bessey Uniklamps and cost less.
Appear to be better than the APTC ones and cost less

Overall a satisfied buyer so far.

SP":3bhxmd4r said:

For those that don't know the Uniklamp is the lightweight Bessey clamp.

The K-bodies are the real deal.

Cheers,
Neil

My order just delivered - however there were only three in the pack :( . Spoke to someone at Rutlands who is now looking for advice - asked if I wanted to return or have one sent. I opted for the latter :)

SP":1h70l27j said:
My order of 4 600mm and 4 900mm just got delivered.

First impressions:
Heavy and robust.
Looks to be well made.
Tilting handle great for tightening.
Slightly difficult to release the ratchet to allow opening jaws ( maybe improve with use.
Definitely worth the reduced price.
Appear to be better than the APTC ones and cost less

Overall a satisfied buyer so far.
Other than comparison with Bessey (not rich enough for these :D ) I agree with the comments made by SP (like you I hope the ratchet improves with use!)
Cheers :)
Tony

At a little over £8 each how do they compare to Besseys K clamp?
1467582201_b6f780c10a.jpg

The head is almost indentical to the bessey even how it's fixed on is the same. With the exception of the black hard rubber pad on the face there is not much difference. The steel shaft is identical in profile as are the serrated edges that the clamp head uses to grip the shaft.
1468437836_84c95d5d70.jpg

The handle can be hinged to add leverage on clamping really tight, I think this is an improvement over the bessey, this is done by pulling the spring loaded handle away from the body and simply swinging it around. Although the handle is well made I do suspect the hinge pin is not strong enough and is not the quality of the rest of the clamp, only time will tell.
1467584295_f94dd275ff.jpg

When clamping up a panel I normally lay the clamp the other way up to how I've taken this picture, It will stand on it's back but the lever I've ringed which is used to open up the clamp stops it sitting firmly on a level surface by about 1/8" it's annoying that this clamp would be every bit as good as the Bessey and as heavy but this is a let down. I intend to grind it back with my bench grinder which should be quite easy and clean the edges off with a small file.
1467583263_62e1a9f090.jpg

How well does it clamp?
To open up the clamp using that little lever is a little tight. On clamping it is every bit as good as a Bessey, no noticeable distortion to the heads as weight is applied so at a little over £8 each these are a bargain certainly much better than the aluminium extrusion type sash cramp. If I gave 10/10 for a bessey this clamp is easily worth 9/10 for build and 10/10 for value for money.
:)

Thanks for the review LN, I'll have to wait until I get home to see if mine have been delivered. It sounds like I made a good choice in ordering these though.

Thanks for the comparison and mini review LN. Nice to know that I have made what appears to be a good buying decision (for a change!). I know what you mean about the aluminium extrusion clamps (mine are quite bendy :D )

Just a quick update I have had a couple of calls and an email from Rutlands. Bottom line is they are sending out my missing clamp tommorrow. I must say I am quite impressed with their communication and on that basis will be very happy to deal with them again - wonder if they read the comments in the forum :)

Cheers :)
Tony

EDIT: Your comments about not lying flat like the Bessey's interesting - had overlooked that. Instead of taking the clamp to the grinder do you think that adding say 1/4" wood using epoxy (with a cutout) would be viable alternative?

The stated lengths, 600mm, 900mm, 1200mm
is this the overall length of the whole clamp,
or the overall clamping length ie. 600mm will clamp a 600mm panel ?
Cheers,
Gary.

the stated lengths are the maximum clamping lengths.
I ordered some which I hope will be here tomorrow.

I got some of the 900mm ones and should have them tomorrow :D

As long as i dont miss them :roll:

Back