Rutlands Dakota Bar Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone used the Dakota bar clamps from Rutlands? They're on special offer at the moment in a pack of 6 and it seems like a good price to someone who needs more clamps (don't we all...? :lol: )

Thanks,
Paul.

I've just received some...they were on back order since well before Xmas but Rutlands were very fair about it.

The bar is similar to the cheapies that Screwfix used to sell. Notches every 3cm or so. The clamp parts are much longer than Screwfix's at about 4" and come covered in some fairly dense foam. Haven't had a chance to see if they clamp up square.

Mine are red..matches the rest :wink: and my toolbelt.

PaulH":32yj7wb8 said:
Anyone used the Dakota bar clamps from Rutlands? They're on special offer at the moment in a pack of 6 and it seems like a good price to someone who needs more clamps (don't we all...? :lol: )

Thanks,
Paul.

Personally, anything with an aluminium bar I would stay clear of... aluminium is soft and bendy tho' Dural (aircraft aluminium alloy) is much better...really depends on the type of alloy used for the bar - Rob

woodbloke":2tv8wtir said:
PaulH":2tv8wtir said:

Thanks,
Paul.

Personally, anything with an aluminium bar I would stay clear of... aluminium is soft and bendy tho' Dural (aircraft aluminium alloy) is much better...really depends on the type of alloy used for the bar - Rob

I've got several of these. You will b@@ger the work piece before you hurt the clamp, at these prices you can't go wrong. :)

hi all, i bought 4 of theses at a carboot (new) £20.oo but gave them to a bloke down the street cos they are rubbish. but thats just my veiw.

I got 4 of these in may/june. Only got two left. They are rubbish and break very easily. Have started to buy bessey now.

There seem to be several manufacturers of this type of clamp (or one manufacturer with varying quality levels) judging from my selection built up over a few years. The best of them are OK, and they go downhill from there.

If you must buy some try to see them before you do,
check the quality of the castings, make sure that they are clean,
check that the securing mechanism of the pin that holds the head to the bar doesn't fall apart when you sneeze on it,
check that the screw operates freely throughout its range,
check that the securing mechanism of the screw to the moving part of the head (either a grub screw or a small pin) doesn't fall apart when you sneeze on it,
check that the tailpiece moves freely along the entire length, and
check that the tailpiece locking mechanism engages fully and freely with the cutouts in the bar along the full length.
If all that's OK go ahead and buy, otherwise look elsewhere. If you can find good ones they are a cheap way of building up a useful collection of clamps, if you buy bad ones they are a cheap way of raising your blood pressure even higher than is usual during a glue up. Oh yes, and don't expect them to force assemble tight joints (not that you or I would ever do that, eh? :whistle: ), as noted earlier the bars are soft aluminium and will bend/tear under undue stress.

I've used several different types of cramps over the years and by far the best standard sash cramps IMO are the ones made by Record in various different sorts....1/4" or T bars with cast iron heads...even the cloned versions don't work as nearly well. Expensive I grant you, but at the end of the jour, bullet proof - Rob

I've bought quite a few over the years..maybe I've been lucky but I've not had any problems any of them.

I have some Bessey clamps (UniKlamp and K clamp) and have to say that I regularly curse the difficulty in opening up the Bessey clamps far more frequently than the Rutland ones on offer.

If you want to talk about truly horrible clamps then look no further than this thread

I bought the Dakota Clamps(6) a couple of months back, at the time I thought they were a good price, UNFORTUNATELY I found there gripping power not up to expectations, The pin on one snapped under light pressure, IMHO , not worth the money, I would not buy again, and wishI had not bought them in the first place

I too have bought and thrown out cheap cramps. You get what you pay for (as usual), and now use only bessey. The K body being the best, tried the smaller uniklamp but they are not so good.

They look very similar to the APTC own brand ones which Ive found are "tinny" but fine, No great clamping pressure but then thats not what you use them for anyway is it ?
Mike

Back