Rutlands : Complete Door & Drawer Making Router Bit Set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to make some panelled doors like :

kitchencabinetdoorsolidwoodpanel3d_59156.jpg

And so want to pick up a router bit set that will do the whole job. From what I can make out, the kit from Rutlands claims to be what I need, but it doesn't mention the size of the bits?
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... ands+tr302

At that price (even the pre sale price) I'm wondering if the bits aren't going to be big enough to produce the moulding you'd generally see on kitchen cabinet doors?

They also sell this kit, but it's twice the price.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... lands+tr15

From the ad.

The raised panel door cutter and the rail and stile cutters may be used on boards between 3/4" and 1" thick, the drawer lock bit on wood that is at least 1/2" thick, the reversible glue joint is for use on boards 3/4" to 1 1/4" thick and the edge facing bit is for boards up to 1 1/4" thick.

monkeybiter":2h5qanfm said:
From the ad.

The raised panel door cutter and the rail and stile cutters may be used on boards between 3/4" and 1" thick, the drawer lock bit on wood that is at least 1/2" thick, the reversible glue joint is for use on boards 3/4" to 1 1/4" thick and the edge facing bit is for boards up to 1 1/4" thick.

That doesn't tell me the size of the cutter though, the other kits specifially mention the size, so I don't know how large the radius of the panel bit is.

For example the 3 piece kit mentions : "Set contents are: 3 1/2" raised panel bit - 1 5/8" stile bit - 1 5/8" rail bit."

It will be this set you want to create the raised panel doors you mentioned:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... lands+tr15

The reason they are much more expensive than the other set is because of the large panel raising bit.
Although I would say that large panel raising bits are not for the faint hearted!
I bought Freud cabinet door set years ago and have used the rail and stile bits many times but I haven't the courage to use the large panel raising bit.....im terrified by it!

You definitely want a powerful router, in a table and with a speed control so you can dial it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used those 80mm diameter panel raising bits many times and you just need to observe two things which have both been mentioned: The bit will have a specified speed rating, which will be slow, that needs to be observed and is easily forgotten directly after machining the rails or styles as they're at a higher speed.

Also it absolutely must be in a 1/2" shank router and not a converting holder in a smaller router. Also take many small passes not one or two big ones and wear serious facial protective shielding.

But you wont be able to do the curved top with a vertical panel raiser.

The big cutters are fine as long as you use them properly. RT not freehand, correct spindle speed (probably as slow as your router will go), small incremental depth of cut.

Whilst I do use my RT without a guard usually, I would definitely make up a clamped guard when using such a large cutter.

Steve Maskery":2zgv6p7l said:
But you wont be able to do the curved top with a vertical panel raiser.

The big cutters are fine as long as you use them properly. RT not freehand, correct spindle speed (probably as slow as your router will go), small incremental depth of cut.

Whilst I do use my RT without a guard usually, I would definitely make up a clamped guard when using such a large cutter.

Ah yes - i wasn't actually going to have a curve, but that is a good point.

What kind of guard would you fashion then?

Two pieces of wood screwed to make an L-shape, like a bookend. This can be clamped to the fence above the cutter.
If the bottom piece of wood is made from polycarbonate :) you will be able to see the cut, but it isn't necessary for it to be transparent.

Steve Maskery":xzly1i27 said:
Two pieces of wood screwed to make an L-shape, like a bookend. This can be clamped to the fence above the cutter.
If the bottom piece of wood is made from polycarbonate :) you will be able to see the cut, but it isn't necessary for it to be transparent.

Ah ok, so something like this :

11036-09.jpg

Yes, except that that looks as if it doesn't cover very much. The big cutter will necessitate removal of the yellow rind and the guard then becomes smaller than the cutter. Jus make it bigger and more substantial. But yes, that idea.

Back