Choosing a basic router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberfly

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a router table that can do some light, but accurate and repeatable, work. I'd mainly like to make trays and drawers to start out with in oak. I don't have much space so benchtop or folding could be good, but I could find space for a full-size if it's much better. Budget is ideally under £200, but could go a bit higher if it makes a big difference.

At the moment I'm looking at:
  • The Trend MK3 - looks the best allrounder? £240
  • The Kreg PRS2100 - maybe a better brand overall? £230
  • This folding table from Axminster £200
  • An off-brand floorstanding table from eBay - can't post a link (rule 8.6! ;)) but it'd be £175
I don't really want to make my own for now. I'd like something I can just get going with, with a strong and easily set fence etc etc. What could be the best choice for me? Should I spend a bit more for a UJK one for example?

I've been keeping my eyes on eBay for the last few months but looking like slim pickings during lockdown. Will keep my eyes on the classifieds section here.

Last edited:
Trend and Kreg are both reputable brands. I'd be really wary of anything that says "folding" because that's the polite word for "collapsible" and I'd not want that when using a router.

My first router table was a piece of cupboard side with a router screwed to it.
it had a block screwed to one end that clamped in the vice. I used a piece of 2x2 as a fence it took an hour or so to knock up and worked very well.
You don’t need to spend hundreds on a router table to get good results.

Pete

I have the trend, and its absolutely fine. Nice little table. I bought it to machine up special profiles when I made 7 sash windows for a house refurb. and it performed excellently. I have a Trend T11 in mine which means the router lift is set from above the table. What helps of course with long profiles is a couple of roller stands.

Looking at the Kreg it looks like it comes out the same factory as the Craft - identical dimensions, and many features look very similar, but it seems to be missing some of the features of the trend, like the slide in packers behind the second fence that allows it to be set up for skimming/planing with a long cutter. (they push the rear fence forward about 1mm, so a cutter set for a 1mm pass will skim the whole of the cut surface)

Last edited:
Back