Rust protection on a machine in long term storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
On monday I will pick up this spindle moulder.
jonsered.JPG

It is an elderly Jonsered. Probably from the 1930-ies or 1940-ies. Fitted out with an old ELU feedwork.

Right now I have no room for a machine like this in my workshop but in 5 years or so I plan to either extend the workshop or build a bigger one. Doing all moulding operations on the spindle moulder of my combination machine without a feedwork is just not efficient enough when trying to make a profit. I also need room for my mortiser which now stands in a neighbour's old chicken pen and maybe also for a full size band saw. That is the long term plan.

Now this spindle moulder came up for sale locally for a very good prize. I know it's background. I will get help loading it. The short distance makes the transport easy. It is just an offer that I cannot afford to turn down though it came a bit too early. I will mothball it until needed in an old semi-abandoned hay barn out in the woods. It is a log building with a wooden floor. There are some gaps between the logs in the walls so the ventialtion is good but a few snowflakes may find their way in during a blizzard. The roof is sound and has no leaks.

What should I use to protect the cast iron table for some 5 years or maybe more? Grease? Tectyl car body wax? Any better ideas?

Attachments

• jonsered.JPG
    jonsered.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 162
cosmoline.

a bit old and untrendy, but if you slather it on it will be just just fine. i have fired rifles that have been slathered in cosmoline and then been in sea water for 10 years and have been as good as the day they were made.

it's a bit messy to get off, and there are many other products, but equally, you can still buy new-old-stock car parts, gun parts, machine parts that are 50 years old that are perfect after being coated in it. 50 years of exppierience suggests it does the job

This is normally the sort of question I know very little about.
As I was thinking of how to keep the long belt pulley rust free, I thought, How about cling film, several coats, as the loaders use on the separate delivery lorry drops?
Clean it up, lightly oil bed with 3-in-1, shrink wrap! farmers use it!etc, etc.
Regards Rodders

The soviets used cosmoline to encase loads of rifles for decades on end, usually dipping them straight into barrels of hot cosmoline and letting it set, then sealing the barrel. I understand they even did entire trucks.

It could probably work to coat the top in that, exposed to air it would set and become hard and have to be scraped off though.

e: See someone already mentioned it.

A thick coat of Liberon Lubricating Wax left to harden and not buffed off will protect the cast iron top, more so if you wrap it in cling-film as has been suggested. When you come to clean it off, a further coat left to settle for a short while and then buffed off will bring the surface up like new.

in the engineering industry we used to use lanoline diluted with white spirit the spirit would evaporate leaving a protective coating that lasts forever.

Thanks. I will see if I can find either lanoline or Cosmoline. Two different solutions that seem to work.

I know some people who are into wool crafts. They might know where to find lanoline.

I forgot about lanolin, http://www.saippuapaja.fi/product/189/lanoliini has lanolin of the andhydrous kind. But you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

I have a 500gr container of anhydrous lanolin at home somewhere that I've had for years, I paid 15 euros shipped for it from german ebay. Used it to make a batch of firearms cleaning fluid and bullet lube for my casting, a little lasts forever. If you want I can give you some of that to mix with white spirit, probably won't need much.

I looked at recipes and one guy reports 1 in 5 which is 20%, so for a liter or so of fluid you'd need 200 grams, I assume white spirit is not that much heavier or lighter than water.

The recipe I found:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com ... hp?t=21073

Maybe I'll make a 500gr white spirit / 100gr batch of this for myself, think it could be good on axe heads and other tooling. Drop by some time when you want to collect, or I will be in Vasa on monday.

Back