Russian No 43

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

I saw this on EBay and after some difficulty it landed on my doormat today, well next doors as we where out!

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

It’s not been used much and a bit rough in places but it works, only one blade but it says USSR on it! cool or what :D

Pete

Another take on the S P Voskov, Pete? In which case, I gather they're good users. "USSR" is interesting though. Suggests it was made for export - otherwise it'd be CCCP, would it not?

Hi, Alf

I looks similar to that.

I bought it from a chap in the Ukraine, which caused most of the dificulty paying for it, so may be thats why USSR not CCCP. I sent him Euros in the end, he had quite a few planes for sale, I nearly bid on a Russian scrub plane.

Pete

I bought some cheap USSR pliers years ago, at 50p each I thought I'd by four and throw them away as they wore out. That didn't work, they have never worn out despite years of abuse cutting stainless wire. They must have been made out of recycled panzer tanks, roughish but indestructible, enjoy!

Gareth

Racers":2p8iq57x said:
Hi, Alf

I looks similar to that.

I bought it from a chap in the Ukraine, which caused most of the dificulty pating for it, so may be thats why USSR not CCCP. I sent him Euros in the end, he had quite a few planes for sale, I nearly bid on a Russian scrub plane.

Pete

Wasn't the Ukraine part of the USSR? ;)

Cheers
Pedder - made in Nothern Germany

The "B" in the double diamond seems to be a consistent feature of the Voskovs, so if that's not present then I'm moved to consider it worth referring to it specifically in the pantheon of 043-a-likes. So, if such be the case... can I swipe the photos, please and thank you? [-o<

Hi, Alf

Sure thing help your self to the photos. let me know if you want better ones.

Just had a look at the Ebay listing and he says "Voskov tool factory" as the manufacturers.

I have posted on the Old tools list, see what the other side of the pond think :shock:

Pete

I'm pretty sure that in this picture:

DSC_0010.jpg

those numbers are actually the price - 45 Roubles, no Kopecks - as a permanent feature of the casting! That's the way things used to be in USSR - no capitalist nonsense about prices changing over time!

Nice find comrade.

I much preffer the knurled heads to flat thumbscrews on my Record

Aidan

studders":3lg32iol said:
Just needs a good sandblasting and some silver wheels paint, be good as new then. :lol:

That finish is indeed very interesting!

I think it would stand the abuse of the capitalist West and their wire brushes for many decades! :wink: :D

Jim

I rather like the lack of decadent capitalist bling ! Wont appeal much to 'borrowers'
Matt

As descendant of Lithuanian Stock , Is much prideful to seeing no nonsense planing thing. Seriously though , nice find amigo. It looks well up to it's duties and no mistake. In my little shop , well, pretty is not much of a criteria. You should see my drawknife. Really must get around to re-handling that poor beast. But it takes cuts both fine and rank with ease , good enough for government work in the boonies believe me. You now have it officially easier than I when ploughing out stock. I just use a chisel and prayer between cuts from a dt saw. Have fun with him (her would be weak capitalist slang , nyet?) cheers .
Mike Swirklis (an actual name in Lithuania)
Ps Alf , As a second generation Canuck I am no longer bound by eastern european slang

Back