Rumba

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first ever commissioned piece 8) .

The pattern was adapted from this photograph:

JB.jpg

I used Paint Shop Pro v9 for the graphics side of things. Then the pattern was printed and applied to two pieces of MDF which were hot glued together. Yes, folks, this project has been stack cut. After cutting, the edges of each piece were rounded by hand using abrasive paper and painted with two coats of Wicke's acrylic undercoat/primer. Then two coats of acrylic paint were applied, a little glitter was added to the pink dress, and the components were glued together with PVA. Once the glue had cured, I reinforced the piece by gluing it to some hardboard as a backer and I gave it several coats of Chestnut's acrylic gloss lacquer.

I thought I'd mention the construction process in some detail because it's a new forum and some people might not have encountered it before.

JB_Final2.jpg

Is the customer happy? She only got it this morning and already she's plastered a huge photograph of it right across the dance forum she visits :lol: .

Gill

Lovely work Gill and a commission too. I reckon you'll be getting quite a few more of those, especially if that is allover the dance forum

Very nice work =D>

Thanks for the kind comments, folks :) .

SP - :shock: That would be a lot of work! I'd rather point you towards Andy Deane's excellent tutorial here. It's really aimed at creating shadow portraits rather than segmentation, but the techniques are practically identical. If there's anything you'd like to discuss about it, just shout out :) .

Gill

I think it is a magical piece, it captures the movement so well. It has more movement in it than the photograph!

Chris

Very nice work Gill.
The adaption from the photo works well and your attention to detail has created a very nice finished product. No wonder the customer was happy !

Out of interest, what are the dimensions ?

Hi Alan

I can't tell you the exact measurements because I didn't make a note before sending it off to the customer. However, the pattern was printed on a sheet of A4 paper so I should think it's about 18cm square.

Gill

Ah Gill, my favorite dance, but I am nowhere near as graceful :D
I love the segmentation you do. clean flowing lines, great choice of colours....hey how about that I can spell colours correctly here.
Always a pleasure to see your work.

And it's a pleasure to welcome you to the forum, Carl. I would say it's an 'honour' too, but I might mis-spell that word ;) :) . Anyway, I'm so pleased you made your way to us.

For those of you who haven't encountered Carl before, he's a talented scroller, a talented pattern designer, a good friend and a demon with Heath Robinson workshop contraptions!

:D

Gill

Gill":2dup79zk said:
For those of you who haven't encountered Carl before, he's a talented scroller, a talented pattern designer, a good friend and a demon with Heath Robinson workshop contraptions!

:D

Gill

Ahh Gill the cheque is in the post. Honestly I had to look up Heath Robinson, I guess his equivalent on this side of the pond would be Rube Goldberg. I do like contraptions :D even made a few myself, but I fear I am better at providing ideas than I am at implementing them.

I look forward to contributing somethings to the forum and hopefully extending some friendships here too.

Latest posts

Back