Ruddy Nora !!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
:shock: LABURNUM :shock:

Just looked this up on Google , as I am going to turn some , and found this , Looks to be nasty :twisted: :twisted:

Every part of the tree is very poisonous and children should be warned of the danger.
"Laburnum trees should not be allowed to overhang a field used as a pasture, for when cattle and horses have browsed on the foliage and pods, the results have proved deadly.
Symptoms of poisoning by Laburnum root or seeds are intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing atthe mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhoea is very severe and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic." (Grieves)

"The most significant human toxins in this group ( quinoline alkaloids) are in the laburnum tree and the mescal bean. The laburnum bears golden pealike pods. Mescal bean is the seed of a small tree and often is used in ornamental jewelry. Cytisine, the alkaloid common to these plants, has nicotinelike effects on the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and the central nervous system (CNS)."
"Pathophysiology: Cytisine is similar in action to nicotine. In any isoquinoline or quinoline ingestion, GI irritation is common, and toxic ingestions almost invariably result in emesis. Onset of symptoms is rapid. GI upset and vomiting start 45 minutes to 4 hours after ingestion. CNS effects include drowsiness, weakness, loss of coordination, muscle fasciculations, seizures, coma, and mydriasis. Some anticholinergic effects, such as urinary retention, may manifest. Respiratory failure, as in nicotine poisoning, is observed in patients with severe cases. "
"The toxic alkaloids are concentrated in the pealike or brightly colored seeds in laburnum, mescal bean, and lupine. Danger to humans predominantly stems from these seeds' attractive appearance to children.
Most of the isoquinolines are noxious in smell and taste and discourage ingestion, thus human toxicity is rare. Interestingly, some domestic species tolerate ingestion of isoquinoline and other alkaloids, and humans can ingest toxic alkaloids from the milk of a poisoned animal and manifest symptoms."
(The above 3 quotes are from E-medicine, a USA medical website on www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic433.htm)

Luckily mortality in humans is very rare, hence this report in the Lancet in 1979: "In an average summer over three thousand children are admitted to hospital in England and Wales because of laburnum poisoning. It is suggested that laburnum is not as dangerous as has been thought and that many of these admissions are unnecessary."
(Lancet. 1979 May 19;1(8125):1073)
Nevertheless anyone who has eaten Laburnum seeds should be taken immediately to an emergency department, where activated charcoal may be administered to soak up the poison and other drugs and treatment may be administered as required for possible seizures or respiratory failure.
Remember that as little as two seeds can suffice to poison a child and the tree should therefore never be planted near children's playgrounds.

So , be carfull out there :wink:

So how would this relate to turning the stuff,given that you are just turning the wood.Would there still be any danger from dust or handling the finished turning or even children licking the finished item,as kids do :roll:
My wifes a childminder and there is a big list of poisonous plants/shrubs etc that we aren't allowed to plant.
Paul.J.

If I am wrong someone correct me but it is the pods that are damgerous, partly due to the fact that they ar poisonous but also beause they look like peas. The wood itself is OK though I would not use it for anything that has contact with food as, like a lot of woods, some things affect dofferent people in different ways. There are a lot of garden plants that fall into this category. Another common one is Sumach (Stags Horn, lovely plant but invasive and poisonus.

GFolden rule, check your woods before using them (says he who uses all sorts of unidentified woods) :D

Pete

It is all poisonous - beware inhaling too much of the dust.

When turned and sealed by a finish, the danger is negligble - although I wouldn't encourage children to suck on it........ Just handling a laburnam piece doesn't have any harm.

I was lucky enough to be given several peices between eight and nine inches earlier this year and didn't notice anything different when turning it although it does leave a very fine dust like some of the hard imported woods which are meant to be particularly nasty to inhale.
The good thing about it apart from the spectacular grain is that the bark has stayed on perfectly on the natural edged bowls I did.
Good night all.
Ken

I've turned laburnum many times over several years and never noticed any ill effect. I suppose everyone is different, but I don't think the wood is dangerous.

Bob

Nick Welford wrote
although I wouldn't encourage children to suck on it....
No Nick we wouldn't encourage kids to suck on it either,but as i said you know what kids are like.
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back