RPBS12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my earlier post bandsaws-around-the-400-mark-t100874.html

I have a few hours left before I need to leave on my work trip so I thought I'd investigate my new machine a bit. It's clear that it needs a little TLC in the blade guide department, particularly. I just removed the lower guide and this is what it looks like:

Lower_guide.jpg

I just sent record a message to ask if they still stock those bearings, but I was also wondering if they are the same on a more recent machine, and also if this was just an ordinary bearing that I can get from any industrial bearing stockist, or is it something special used just for this purpose?

The guide casting has rotated at some point, not surprising as it is only held to the saw by one M6 nut and bolt, offset quite a bit from the line of thrust. Presumably this is far from the first time that this has happened on a saw like this, and I wonder what if anything folks have done to prevent it - just do the bolt up really really tight maybe? :D

Attachments

• Lower_guide.jpg
    Lower_guide.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,067
Beat me too it, I posted that link on the OP's other thread.

Mike

Thanks all. Sorry for the thread duplication, :oops: , I thought it was more logical to create a new thread now that the question is about fettling rather than purchase advice.

I think what I'll do is first replace that chewed bearing with an off the shelf one from the local industrial supply shop, then once the saw is up and running to my satisfaction then upgrade with the Bedford unit. I've been in contact with Bedford already today and they were incredibly fast in getting back to me. The price on that upgrade is particularly good for me at the moment because of the favourable EUR/GBP exchange rate.

One thing I did notice looking at the photos of the Bedford upgrade is that the thrust bearing runs in a more logical direction, I can't think why the originals are at 90 degrees to the angle they really need to work at. Presumably there is a good reason for this though?

Also note that the kit includes a new support pillar which will get over the problem you note in your other post.

The only reason I can think of that place's the thrust bearings at 90 degrees to the angle they are designed to work at, is its easier/cheaper to manufacture a thrust bearing that just moves in and out on a bolt, rather than one that has to move sideways inside a casting, I am sure we will get all sorts of other reasons for it, like its a bigger bearing area etc.

Mike

Can't think of one reason you would regret that decision. =D>

I don't know if you have seen the Alex Snodgrass U tube presentation on setting up a bandsaw, its worth watching if you haven't, worked for my RB350 which, with a Tuffsaw blade cuts like a dream, down to 100mm high x 1mm re-saw, it amazed me how easy it was.

Mike

EDIT to add link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

MikeJhn":359zsvv2 said:
Can't think of one reason you would regret that decision. =D>

I don't know if you have seen the Alex Snodgrass U tube presentation on setting up a bandsaw, its worth watching if you haven't, worked for my RB350 which, with a Tuffsaw blade cuts like a dream, down to 100mm high x 1mm re-saw, it amazed me how easy it was.

Mike

EDIT to add link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Thanks very much indeed, that was excellent. I'll bookmark it and watch it again when I get back from my trip.

Just as an update, I'm back from work now and the first thing I did was install the guide bearing upgrade, which was here waiting for me. Initial impressions are very positive :D

Back