Routers & bits - when not in use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argonaut

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 different TREND routers and an assorted set of 8mm & 1/2" shank bits.

I have used TREND Rust Buster and always sprayed bits with this after use - and occasionally on the telescopic support rods of the routers. Finally, the free sprays I had have run out ... is it worth buying the TREND product - or spray with WD40 (or something else

I have never bothered with either, personally.

Is that an issue in your workshop?

At the moment my workshop is at 38 c and 65% humidity. In the winter that can go down to zero c overnight but still have 55% humidity. I dont do any maintenance on the cutters except clean off sticky glue from plywood. Dont oil the router columns either, it will only run down and spoil a surface somewhere.

I have never seen humidity as low as 65% and for much of the year my workshop is at 100%-such is the reality of living a hundred yards from a river.My router cutters live in a block of wood drilled closely to the nominal shank size and see very little rust.The rods that the fence lives on are plated as is much of the rest of the exposed metal,so no rust and no need for purchasing products to prevent it.

My workshop is a built in double garage on the house .... so no damp issues .... but the bits ... which are in wooden block do tarnish ... the TREND has plated columns.. but they do tarnish .... hence my Q

Do you heat it intermittently? The only time I had any problem with rust was when I put a pot belly in, and our humidity is usually in the 80s, often in the 90s and virtually never below 65 - 70.
Don't keep your cutters in wooden blocks - it keeps moisture in contact with the steel.

Back