Routers and Dremels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiecrawford

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck in a quandary, and it's the time of year when every pound has to be mulled over. I have a chance to buy a Dremel 4000, the boxed one with flexi jobby, plus router accessories (no table, sadly) for £67.50 or I could get a 3000 with much less kit for £25 and a Lidl router for £30.

The only routing I'll do for the foreseeable future is running rebates down planks for mirror framing, and doing keyhole fittings. I may also put a bevel on the odd bit of 10mm ply, so I don't need anything heavy duty and figure either of these will suffice for now. Any advice (apart from 'save up and buy xxxxx' :) ) appreciated.

Jamie

I'm sure on here it has been said that the Lidl/aldi routers aren't that accurate. Dremel are overpriced and play on their name IMO. I have an old FREM that I got from screwfix. I don't use it a lot but It's been ok for me.

Look out for a Bosch POF 500A.
You should be able to get one quite cheaply and they are well made. Should be just right for what you want to do.

EDIT:
There's one on eBay right now - BIN £35

I don't think that the dremel would be that suitable for what you want to do with it.

Cool, thanks for the answers. I'm going to go for a £25 Dremel, for dremely jobs, and I'll have a look at the Bosch.

The quality of Dremel tools seems to have gone down dramatically over the last 10 years, I was having this conversation just last week with one of my friends who uses a Dremel on average 3 or 4 times a week and in just the last 5 years has been through 7 corded Dremels, always their highest end model. Early this year he bought one of the cordless models and didn't even get 6 months use out of it, the battery is fine but the the motor has had it. His first Dremel was purchased in 1995 and lasted almost 14 years.

While it's all too easy to blame Chinese manufacturing, personally I think it's more likely down to Dremel using cheaper, low quality components. :(

I use a Dremel every day and can confirm that the quality has diminished-- my problem is I don't know if any other similar bit of kit that will fit the Dremel Drill Stand or as they call it Workstation

John

jonluv":27zeg9w8 said:
I use a Dremel every day and can confirm that the quality has diminished-- my problem is I don't know if any other similar bit of kit that will fit the Dremel Drill Stand or as they call it Workstation

John

I bought Proxxon last time. I don't regret it. Full range of accessories too, including stands.

PS to the original questioner: I have had a POF500A for many years - love it. Recently got a POF 600A too (off eBay) which is the same but with varispeed - even better!)

Latest posts

Back