Router tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AB, Just been looking at the CMT table again. Price indicated in your link does not include vat.....
Still a nice table.

Rgds

Noel

The Ryobi and Record tables are the same and identical to the old Woodcut Trading sliding router table, except for one or two wiring details. I have the Woocut and it's a reasonably good table with some caveats:

1. The fence is diabolical and needs a bit of work on it to straighten it up. I've fitted a wooden face plate onto mine which now makes it work properly. The dust extraction isn't too bad (above the table - none below)

2. Fitting the router beneath it is a bit of a faff. Once in the router is best staying there. Not a table to continuously swap the router in and out of unless you have a suitable fixed-base router (Bosch, Porter-Cable). Also a bit tight for tightening the collet nut (at least on the DW625 and Bosch GOF1700) - ideally you'll need a one handed design (like those two).

3. Both the fence and the clamp on the sliding table have a tendency to flex (maybe I'm heavy handed?) which is something to watch out for. I reckon the fence needs to be binned and a piece of angle iron (or wood) substituted

4. You'll have to rig-up your own dust extraction for under the table.

5. The thickness of the cast-iron table robs you of some depth of cut, so this table is one to consider using a 1/2in router with and a spindle extension piece (when required)

Then again this isn't a spindle moulder and I'm therefore prepared to accept its little foibles. It's a heck of a lot better than Record's last all-steel enclosed router table. On the upside the table is stable and heavy, of a reasonable size for a router table and the sliding table allows you to build your own jigs for machining small tenons, scribed frames, etc. Overall probably one of the better attempts at a router table.

Scrit

Collet extensions are available from axminster this should make bit changing in a router table easier ? Views

Hi all

Some points to think about in the table stakes: -

Trend working height is 860. You only lose 8mm reach

Record working height is 848. You lose 17mm reach. Fitting the router is difficult but it is easier if you have access to the rear. The clamps are more difficult to use than the Ryobi.

CMT working height is 900. You lose 12mm reach. Be aware of all of the extras with this one - nvr 29.99, featherboard 15, mitre fence (cost not known) and T-slot track at 13. The cabinet base is made of 18mm melamine covered mdf.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Neil

Information courtesy of Good Woodworking magazine and Routing.

One plus point about the Record/Ryobi table is that the top tilts from the rear making access to the router a bit easier when installing/removing it. I didn't know that the Ryobi and Record used different clamps, though - the Woodcut ones were truly awful.

Scrit

Back